Best practices for streaming vs recording with separate mic channel

Falconeer

Greetings,
I'm new to OBS so please excuse me if this question has been answered somewhere else; I've done some searching but haven't found anything that seems to apply.

Currently I'm recording gaming videos for posting to Youtube. I have a scene for the game with a mic channel (audio input capture source), a game audio channel (audio output capture source), and a game source (game capture source). I use this set up so my mic/voice track is separate from the game audio track.

I'm interested in also streaming, but my understanding is for streaming there's only one audio source allowed. As such I'll need to combine the mic & game audio.

I'd like to set this up so I have presets; one for streaming per game, one for recording offline per game. I've looked into Profiles and Scene Collections but I'm unsure how to best make use of them.

I'm a programmer by trade so I lean towards configuring things properly once so I don't have to think about it afterwards. :p

Any help would be most appreciated. If a guide or post does exist I beg your pardon and could you provide a link to said guide/post?

Regards,
John E.

koala

You can send each audio source to as many audio tracks as you like. So create one track with all sources mixed for streaming and an additional track for each source, like this:

1597883568489.png

In this case, track 1 is meant for streaming and the other tracks contain one source only. Activate all tracks for your recording.

Falconeer

Ah!! That makes too much sense for me to have thought of it. :p Thank you most kindly for your assistance!

k1zm3ths

You can send each audio source to as many audio tracks as you like. So create one track with all sources mixed for streaming and an additional track for each source, like this:

View attachment 60184

In this case, track 1 is meant for streaming and the other tracks contain one source only. Activate all tracks for your recording.
Hi Im wondering if there is a way to mute just the desktop audio in recordings but still have the stream mix hear the desktop audio?

koala

Create one track for streaming and one track for recording. Check all audio sources for the streaming track. Check all sources except the desktop audio source for the recording track.