Best hardware for non-gaming streaming and recording?

angelleye

I have a Surface Book 3. I love it in general, but it's not holding up well with video streaming/recording/editing. It's quirky with the separate graphics, and the CPU throttling is an issue.

I'm looking to replace it with a desktop, but I'm not a gamer, and everything seems to be geared towards that. Do I need a crazy graphics card, or should I go more for CPU?

I am a coder, and I manage coding teams, so I'm doing a lot of general stuff that pretty much any modern computer can handle for the most part. When I'm recording it will be multi-camera, face only with green screen backgrounds, display captures, etc. Everything but gaming, really.

What would be the best setup for this with a budget of up to $4k?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

qhobbes

Do you already have the cameras and capture cards/devices or do those need to be included in the $4k?

angelleye

Here's one config I'm looking at. Thoughts?

XorbRs.jpg

Lawrence_SoCal

Realize that $4K for a non-gaming streaming PC is way overkill for streaming itself.
For just streaming, GPU depends CPU (in terms of if you have a powerful enough CPU, then you don't need dedicated/separate GPU as CPU will handle encoding/decoding). So, I'd focus on your other needs (editing videos, for example). And spec a machine for that. I just order a business class PC (in the business too long to deal with consumer grade gear for my use cases. period.) to be dedicate to streaming. Just in case, I was targeting a GTX 1650 Super or better (and even that was just in case, seems like a nice thing to have, not truly necessary). Mind you I was hoping to get an AMD 3900X based system, but couldn't find what I was looking for (business class Tier 1 system w/ PCIev4, on site support, etc). So I got a i7-10700K based system instead, with a GTX 1660 Super and I know for my mix of pre-recorded videos (from 480p to 4k) and a live camera or two, plus PowerPoint, what what I ordered will be plenty for years to come. So, what you have listed... likely to be plenty for streaming.
Though see other threads on USB webcams and overloading USB controllers when dealing with multiple cameras.. something to be aware that no matter how beefy the system, you may inadvertently create your own bottleneck if not careful