Best Computer for Running OBS

LarryHans

Greetings, I need to purchase a computer that is powerful enough to perform live streaming on OBS to YouTube with no latency. Right now, I am using a Laptop computer that does not have sufficient graphics capability to Sync video and audio. Normally, I would research and select components to build a computer, but this is for our church and they will want a machine that comes with a warranty and support. Any suggestions?

Thanks In Advance!!

Larry

LarryHans

Adding some info ... I am looking to buy a Tower system on which to run Windows 11. Preferably 32GB RAM, 8-core I9 Processor and a graphics card (RTX / GTX) capable of supporting all encoders used by OBS.

Thanks Again
L

sandrix

You should choose an RTX 20-40 series graphics card. They are equipped with the latest NVENC encoder, which provides high quality with minimal impact on FPS. In perspective, the RTX 40 is worth looking into as they support encoding with the AV1 codec. While AV1 cannot be used for streaming (Discord only), but in a couple of years it will be widely integrated.

Lawrence_SoCal

sandrix is right
but, you are asking the equivalent of what is the best car? it depends. A LOT more context is needed to provide a detailed answer
As a 5yr old computer can be fine, or you can bring a US$10K workstation to its knees, depending on workload.

As for no latency.. no bypassing basic laws of physics, and then ais free streaming services receiving video input, re-encoding, and globally distributing. Speed of light is NOT that fast. Live to viewing can easily be 15 seconds to a minute depending on a variety of factors dealing with viewership volume and network from streaming platform to viewer (ie nothing you can do anything about) . Want faster? don't use a free service

The issue with some laptops, especially consumer grade machines, is thermal throttling. a Laptop can be fine, it depends. For ex, a Dell mobile Precision m6800 (with NVENC GPU) worked fine for me (House of Worship, initial lockdown streaming). I tried to stream with a 2015/2016 gaming laptop with an Intel i5-6300HQ (2.3GHz 4c/4t circa Fall 2015), 8GB RAM, SATA SSD Win 10 Home edition, Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M and failed as the PC wasn't up to the task (no gaming, just alternating between USB webcam and simple pre-recorded videos, alongside a PPTx slide show window capture, streaming at 720p 30fps). The m6800 was overkill. With 3 years of OBS knowledge now, and no longer using the # of pre-recorded 4K content, I bet I could get that gaming laptop to work (but would require significant effort to optimize OS and OBS vs focusing on presentation/worship. so depends on budget)

To give you some context, and that your specs may be overkill???
For our House of Worship, with a single NDI PTZ camera (at the moment), and linked to house mic/audio system. Initially (lockdown) alternating between 4K pre-recorded content and live camera content. Now, all live (other than a walk-up video in 5 minute countdown timeframe before live service starts).

Though I'm annoyed at Intel for their over-promise, under-deliver (and grossly power inefficient CPUs), I could not an appropriate business class machine with AMD CPU and nVidia GPU in fall of 2020. I personally prefer HP's engineering over Dell, in general on enterprise class system (I skip consumer gear from all mfgs), but in this circumstance, the deal, config, etc... I went with next business day onsite service on a Dell (and most of my home systems are Dell as well, based on price):
OptiPlex 7080 Tower with 500W Power Supply (Platinum)​
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super, 6GB (DP/HDMI/DVI-D)​
- To get Turing NVENC with GTX 1650 Super or higher.
- Today, I'd strongly consider a GPU that supports AV1 in hope of saving future install
Intel Core i7-10700K, 16 MB Cache, 8 Cores, 16 T, 3.8 GHz to 5.0 GHz, 125 W​
Win 10 Pro 64 (I'd be inclined to avoid Win11, as too many glitches like WinME, Vista, 8, etc).​
16GB DDR4 Memory​
2.5 inch 1TB 7200rpm SATA Hard Disk Drive​
- used for archiving video Recordings, I installed my own SSD for the OS drive as Dell's price was silly expensive
- I've since added another 4TB HDD as well. I offsite back 1TB of most recent videos to a cloud drive
DVD+/-RW​
- to be able to burn DVD for folks if desired (ex Wedding, baptism, funeral, etc). optional, and some folks would argue against... depends on your 'audience'. I figure some elderly not necessarily going to figure out streaming, so DVD as alternative was nice fallback
This system has low CPU and GPU utilization for simultaneous Streaming (7K bitrate) and Recording (11GB file for 1h20m service) using separate settings (2 different encoding streams) at 1080p30. And this system is plenty capable to run a video editor (DaVinci Resolve) if/when desired to create video snippets
So, a recent, decent system is plenty powerful. Without knowing more, I'd say an i9 is probably overkill. Our system can handle additional NDI PTZ cameras without issue. And planning to install a digital audio workstation to optimize broadcast audio (we don't have a sound engineer, not that type of service)

ciddyguy

You should choose an RTX 20-40 series graphics card. They are equipped with the latest NVENC encoder, which provides high quality with minimal impact on FPS. In perspective, the RTX 40 is worth looking into as they support encoding with the AV1 codec. While AV1 cannot be used for streaming (Discord only), but in a couple of years it will be widely integrated.
I would agree with Lawrence_SoCal on his suggestions and agree, the i9 may be overkill. I agree, MINIMUM of 16GB of RAM, preferably 32GB, and if you can, go for DDR5 memory, instead of DDR4 as the memory will be faster overall which will help.

Right now, I don't stream, in part no need to, but also my PC is a bit weak sauced as one, it's a decade old, (Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF with a Core i5 processor [4570], but only runs the old and now creaky NVidia GeForce GT 610 graphics card with DDR3 memory at 1GB total). At the moment, I can barely do 1080P with OBS but can edit at that resolution at 30FPS (actually, 29.97) and it'll do that OK, but using Hitfilm for the editing software. Even then, with the version I run (for the fact that I can edit with actual Proxies, not pseudo proxies), the computer is considered likely marginal.

Be that as it may, the PC was never meant to be the main box for more than a year out as I needed to quickly replacing an ailing box I'd had for a decade in 2019 as the original HD was dropping sectors like flies and still on Vista. Did try to upgrade to Windows 7, but that proved to be a dud, then Vista got corrupted... Yep, the HD was at fault. Anyway, Covid came and went and I'm just now slowly getting back on my feet so once I can do so, this PC will get a total upgrade.

timoz

How much benefit is there to a workstation card such as Nvidia RTX A4000 over a gaming oriented card?

Currently using a GTX 2070 in a three year old machine, which I'd like to move on to an even older machine & trying to work out what's the most future-proof option to use for streaming.

rockbottom

You're not gaining much, maybe 15-20% uplift. Upgrading to a 4060 will provide the same performance for 1/3 the cost of a A4000. Plus, the A4000 is Ampere so it lacks the dual NVENC/NVDEC chips & AV1 that are featured on the 4000 Ada.

If it's working, I would leave the 3YO PC alone & get a GTX-1650 w/TU116 chipset for the older machine. You should be able to find one in the 150-200 range.

Last edited: