Question / Help Basic Setup for Mac / Macbook Pro / Steam

sbones

I am trying to create gaming videos for some of my steams games on my Macbook Pro. I heard there was an issue with Mac laptops and OBS because of the GPU switching, but I can't find it now.

I'm not a noob but I can't seem to get this to work. Is there a guide or someone who can help with this basic set up??

Would this work better is I used the Windows version of OBS on bootcamp?

Thanks!

Chidorin

you can turn off card switching in battery saver (or something)
I can't seem to get this to work.
OBS? just capture the window and press record. For advanced settings go to settings =) there you can change extension, bitrate, path to the file etc To capture audio you have to install wavtap, soundflower or ishowu audio capture (all free) and select them as mix/aux source

for Steam purposes.
you mean steam broadcasting?

p.s. i have a feeling I understood something wrong =)

amsyar ZeRo

@sbones Welcome!For Steam games,try using Game Capture first.It's ez,but as I don't have time,I'll let the others in this topic help u.Also,what kind of Steam games are you going to record/stream?That will help us more.

Chidorin

If there are specific settings to use when streaming Steam. Sometimes my stream lags when I broadcast anything on Steam.
you mean steam games? if so then it's just like a normal game just turning steam overlay can help a bit. the cause of lags can be: bitrate too high ( not more then 2000), slow cpu, intensive preset, old gpu etc

Kearstin

you mean steam games? if so then it's just like a normal game just turning steam overlay can help a bit. the cause of lags can be: bitrate too high ( not more then 2000), slow cpu, intensive preset, old gpu etc
There is a Steam overlay setting?
I'm sorry, I'm not entirely understanding you well.

Right now, I open Steam, open a game, and window capture. I'm at 2200 bitrate.

Chidorin

There is a Steam overlay setting?
I'm sorry, I'm not entirely understanding you well.

Right now, I open Steam, open a game, and window capture. I'm at 2200 bitrate.
-right click on game in steam library - settings - check/uncheck overlay in game
-2200 bitrate is ok
-as amsyar ZeRo advised try game capture first
-the game itself is lagging?
-try change preset to ultrafast in obs-settings-output

Kearstin

-right click on game in steam library - settings - check/uncheck overlay in game
-2200 bitrate is ok
-as amsyar ZeRo advised try game capture first
-the game itself is lagging?
-try change preset to ultrafast in obs-settings-output
I'll try out the Steam settings see if that helps, but it's my stream that lags. It'll give viewers like a 2-5min delay if I do anything with Steam. I currently window capture the game, not game capture. I'll try that, too.