Bad pixelation/mesh around objects - single PC local recording

MonkeySei

Howdy

As for starters I have to say - I'm a complete newbie if it comes about recording gameplay. I've been reading tutorials, were looking for answers around internet, fixed couple things on my own, but in this particular matter I'm completely lost (maybe because I coudln't find right words to describe it).

For quite some time I'm trying to figure out how to fix bad pixelation/pixelated mesh around objects on local recordings.
While I have it on my hard drive - it doesn't look so bad, it's hardly noticable, but after uploading on youtube it becomes a little too visible.
Of course, youtube itself always after encoding make videos look worse... But in this case it really strains my eyes.

Last log:

Benchmark:

Couple of videos marking the problem:

In 1440p they look... ok-ish, but still that problem is visible, reducing quite a lot quality of recording.
In 1080p it's practically unwatchable, all those smearing and pixelization spots are visible as on plate.

As for OBS itself I've been trying couple of things:
- Startup as administrator
- Changing output settings a lot (went practically through all of them, chaging one setting at the time)
- lowering FPS below 60
- Changing color settings
- juggling with "scenes" and "sources"

But... Well, no matter if the whole image was worse or a little better - same problem still occured.
I've also tried recording with Geforce Experience and same thing happened, so most likely problem lies elsewhere.
As for Nvidia settings I've tried:
- V-sync on/off
- g-sync compatible on/off
- power management optimal/max performance
- clean install as well
In sytem:
- game mode on/off
- disabled windows recording

If anyone would have any ideas what might be the cause of this problem and have kind of solution for it - I would be grateful.
.. Or maybe someone have an idea how to dimnish those artifacts within Sony Vegas rendering - I'm also open for that.

Thanks in advance

Harold

youtube example videos are not good for demonstrating issues.
Are you checking your recordings in VLC BEFORE running them through any video editor and before uploading to youtube?

MonkeySei

@Harold
Well, maybe it's not the best way to demonstrate a problem, but since I'm planning to upload my videos here - quality here plays a huge role.

Those quoted videos were uploaded straight after recording, without interference of other programs. If it comes about third party programs, so far I've only messed with settings on Sony Vegas, but without any good results.

About VLC - no, never. Pardon my ignorance, but what kind of checking you're talking about?

Harold

Check the raw recordings before uploading to see if they're anywhere close to the picture quality you want.

Youtube re-encodes ALL video you send to it, so quality WILL take a hit before any viewers see the videos.

koala

There are 2 places where quality is lost: when OBS is recording the gameplay and encoding the raw video, and when you upload the video to Youtube and Youtube is recoding the video.
So you need to check where the quality you're missing is actually lost. You need to check the video before Youtube upload with a local media player. If the quality is ok here, but not in the Youtube video, the loss is not introduced by OBS but by Youtube. Which is unavoidable, by the way - Youtube uses generic recoding settings you're not able to change.

MonkeySei

@Harold
@koala

Right. Previously I was only checking videos in standard windows player and in motion - it didn't look bad.
After checking raw videos up close I can clearly see smearing and some kind of ghosting around edges of objects, which, of course, is highly enchanced after youtube re-encoding.

Reference photo:

As I checked it backwards - no matter what OBS settings were used or windows/nvidia settings mentioned in first post - it did happen constantly.
It also did happen on Nvidia Experience recordings.