Background not transparent

Tavern Senses

I have a professional green screen, so the results with the Chroma Key filter are really good. I can perfectly record myself against any background.

Now, I want to use the video recording in a video editor. That means that the background should be transparent. However, when I deactivate all background sources, the background doesn't turn transparent (checkerboard, like in a PNG), but black. So it is useless for superimposing on backgrounds in the video editor.

Because the OBS Chroma Key filter is so excellent, I want to do the chroma keying in OBS, not in the video editor. So exporting a video with a green background from OBS to the video editor, and then doing the chroma keying in the video editor is not a solution for me.

Thank you in advance for your advice on rendering the background transparent in OBS.

Last edited:

koala

Not every movie format and color format supports transparent color. It's as with images: *.jpg doesn't support transparency, while *.png does.
Having said this, as far as my research went, OBS isn't able to export video with alpha channel. It is said *.flv or *.avi supports alpha channel, but I never found a single article on the web that claims it is possible with OBS to create video with alpha channel.

The best seems you use the chroma key filter of OBS, then replace your transparent parts with plain green (color source with OBS) and use this plain green with your video editor and use the green screen filter of that editor again. This way you have some kind of normalized green in the video, so the green screen filter of your editor doesn't need to be so sophisticated. It even doesn't need to be green, you can choose every color. Even a color key filter that matches exactly the color.

Last edited: