b frames in high motion recording?

testgcd

I record high motion gameplay that also can include scenes in foliage/forests - a lot of shades of green in the background.

From what I've gathered, b frames can make the video blocky in such instances.

So, is there a reason not to put b frames at zero, at OBS options?

If possible, please provide an answer other than "there is no right or wrong answer, test it and see", I've done a lot of that already - that is not the feedback I am looking for here.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
A b-frame is similar to a p-frame but is able to reference data before or after. Nothing special about them quality-wise.

koala

Some encoders support different quantizer values for the different frame types (I, P, B). For maximum compression in tight bandwidth/space situations, one could use a lower quantizer for I frames, so the reference frames are best quality, P frames with medium quantizer so they compress better, and B frames with an even higher quantizer to make them as small as possible, since they make half of the frames of the video and are not used as references for other frames.
This is what you might have heard about B frames and low quality. This is not a property of the frame type, it is because people deliberately remove the most detail with them to get highest compression.

But OBS always uses the same quantizer for every frame type, so this doesn't apply to footage generated by OBS. There is no visual difference between P and B frames for OBS-generated video.