Question / Help Avermedia not detected by OBS

FerrariTV

Hey guys!

I've got the Avermedia ExtremeCap U3 - Video Capture Card and I try to capture my screen from my gaming PC (with HDMI) and send it to my MacBook (with USB 3.0). Avermedia has its own Streaming-Program and I could see that the Capture Card is working. On the other side I tried OBS on my Mac and it's working quite fine. The problem is that OBS isn't detecting my Avermedia ExtremeCap U3. I know that the card is working, because I could stream the MacBook's Screen to my PC and then to Twitch or smth. I assume that the OBS Version for Mac isn't that developed.

So how to solve the problem? Is the problem on my side? Am I supposed to wait on a new, updated version of OBS?

Sincerely,
Ftv

@edit

btw. FaceTime is working (as video device)

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Pretty sure AVerMedia doesn't provide AVCapture drivers that would let OBS use it. Same problem as Elgato.

FerrariTV

It works the other way around.

@edit

I can capture my MacBook Pro Screen and send it via Avermedia to my "Gaming PC" to OBS.

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Hm? You're outputting your gaming PC into the capture card, which is then plugged via USB 3.0 into your Mac, right? That is what you seemed to be saying.

FerrariTV

Well... Avermedia has its own Software called RECentral and the device is working there. OBS on Windows work with Avermedia pretty good.On YouTube you can see that there are people using the Avermedia Devices with OBS. That's why I don't know why it's not working :-/

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Like I said, it's because the capture card's Mac drivers don't let OBS see it. Yes, it works on Windows when you try to add it to OBS, but that is because the Windows drivers let you do that. The Mac drivers do not.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
No, AVerMedia has to do it. The only solution for now is to use Display capture on the AVerMedia program. You can also check to see if you can use Syphon to capture it, too, just in case.