Question / Help AUDIO PROBLEMS :(

Cursona

Hey everybody!
So my buddy and I have been streaming for awhile now and since we really haven't got a following until now we noticed some things with the audio.Im not super techy so this may sound stupid.

It seems to me that desktop/in game audio is pretty loud in my ears but when its on the stream its really quiet. I therefore turn it up in my ears (uncomfortably loud) so the audience can hear background noise better. I accidentally talk really loud since I can't hear myself as well because of this. I don't know if this is because the audio is getting condensed and therefore quieter through sound flower and then through OBS?

Also once in awhile in OBS the green bar that says audio is getting pickup will get stuck into a gray bar for my desktop audio. I then never know if its really working!

Also once in awhile an echo is picked up during the stream specifically when using Skype.

I usually use Soundflower with Quicktime Player to record and it works well because I just later on edit the background audio when Im not speaking. So it could be my sound flower settings?

I use some basic 15 dollar SkullCandy headphones with a mic on the cord. I have used the Beats looking big SkullCandy headphones before but with no mic. Similar results. I have to turn it up loud to get it to record at a normal volume.

OBS Specs:

Sample Rate 44.1khz
Desktop Audio Device: Soundflower 2 channel
Mic/auxiliary: Built in Microphone
audio bitrate: 128

SoundFlower settings(when I have it on, and my headphones in):

Aggregate Device: 4 in/ 4 out
Sample Rate:44100.0 Hz
Clock source: Built in Microphone (SHOULD THIS BE CHANGED?)
Using:
2 Built in Microphone No Drift
Built in output Drift
Soundflower 2 channel Drift

Input channels: 3 and 4 are Soundflower 2 ch
Output channel: 1 and 2 are Built in output, 3 and 4 are Built in microphone

Not using:
Soundflower 64 channel

Do I need to change some settings? Do I need a better headset or mic and headset duo? If so, any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks!

keybounce

Make sure, in Audio MIDI Setup, that the sound level of soundflower is set to max.

Check the volume level you have the OBS pickup at.

If you cannot get it to work well enough, then output to a multiple output device. This will let you keep the output to soundflower for the stream loud, but make the earphones softer.

Cursona

Yeah I tried to make an multiple output device and that isn't working(testing it with Quicktime Player screen recording and now Im not getting anything on OBS in the ). I feel I have it set up wrong now on both ends. I don't know if these pictures help.
ScreenShot2014-12-13at102918AM_zpse20af393.png

ScreenShot2014-12-13at102921AM_zpsa741ea2f.png

ScreenShot2014-12-13at102911AM_zps8a7bb658.png

OBS
ScreenShot2014-12-13at103912AM_zpsb50d925f.png

keybounce

Is the volume on soundflower output also at max?

You have to actually set the multi-output device as your "Use this device for sound output".

Manticor

If I think I know what you are having problems with...I am somewhat having the same. You have to realize that Soundflower's volume is lower then for example normal internal speakers on the same volume setting. Also I'm not sure why you would need to use an aggregate device since OBS already provides several audio options. Anyways, if there was a way to increase Soundflower's volume, I'd love to know how.

keybounce

It seems to me that desktop/in game audio is pretty loud in my ears but when its on the stream its really quiet. I therefore turn it up in my ears (uncomfortably loud) so the audience can hear background noise better. I accidentally talk really loud since I can't hear myself as well because of this. I don't know if this is because the audio is getting condensed and therefore quieter through sound flower and then through OBS?

Basically, you want the output going to the headset to be reduced in volume, but kept at full volume going out to the stream.

To make this work, you want a multiple output device.

Create a multiple output device; link it to soundflower and the headset. Have your game output loud enough for the stream; keep soundflower's volume settings -- both input and output -- at max. This device should be the audio device used by your game (most likely the system default output). OBS can pick up from soundflower, and send out to the stream. Your viewers can tell you if the sound level is loud enough for them or not.

Now, however, you can adjust the volume on your headset separately from the volume on soundflower. This is the point of the multiple output device.

There is no need, at least for this, to use an aggregate device.

keybounce

If I think I know what you are having problems with...I am somewhat having the same. You have to realize that Soundflower's volume is lower then for example normal internal speakers on the same volume setting.

Interesting. I have never had issues with soundflower's volume being any different from the input volume (at least when soundflower is set to max volume).

(grr, what did I do that these are two different posts?)

Cursona

I do noticed though that the audio recordings, anytime anyone speaks from Skype or google hangouts there is static. But everything else works.