Question / Help Audio Output from OBS to Zoom

NikLouch

Hi, I will note I have already done some searching here, so apologies if I have missed something. I'm sure this may have been asked in different ways, so apologies!

I am hosting a weekly quiz (with a few music rounds, hence the need for audio), and stumbled across this awesome software, and it's certainly upped the production. I'm currently using OBS Studio with:
  • The Virtual Cam plugin to output video to Zoom
  • Touch Panel and WebSockets for control
  • ChromaCam for background removal
  • VB-Cable to take audio from Winamp into OBS
My audio setup is:
  • Winamp output to "Speakers (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)"
  • OBS scene contains Audio Output Capture monitoring "Speakers (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)"
  • Monitoring device: "Speakers (Realtek Hi Definition Audio)"
All of this is working fine, when I monitor within OBS out my local speakers, it all works fine and sounds great. However...

Within OBS to get the sound to Zoom, as I understand it, I have to basically push my monitoring audio out, because OBS is meant for streaming to a service? To that end I have set:
  • Monitoring Device to "VoiceMeeter Aux Input (2- VB-Audio Virtual Cable)"
  • Zoom microphone to "CABLE output (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)"
I understand what's happening here, and while it "works" it sounds terrible. As I understand it, my constraints here are:

• Zoom is optimised to send audio as if it's from a microphone, and so music sources just will sound bad, that's the way it is
  • OBS is meant for streaming to a service, not REALLY for relaying to Zoom, so I have to sent the monitor output and not the actual capture?
I feel that the drop in quality is from Zoom, not the output itself?

So what I'm asking is:
  • Is my setup correct?
  • Can I improve the audio in any way? Perhaps using screen sharing in Zoom to monitor an output from OBS rather than passing it through as a microphone input?
  • Any suggestions for improvement?
Thank you!

NikLouch

OK, I've proven to myself that the issue is Zoom taking an audio source of music and applying the compression/sound compression associated with a mic to it, as I shared my screen via Zoom and took audio too, and audio was MUCH better.

So my question becomes, is there a way to use Zoom's screen sharing (with better audio) to share the output? Can I snap the Studio View mode out to another window or such?

NikLouch

The Advanced audio processing screen in Zoom helps... Allows a few tweaks that help audio processing. Not great because it still feels it needs to apply microphone style processing to music.

jsetsaas

Hi Nik,
Did you find a way to send the output from OBS to Zoom, just like the video. In zoom I have video device called "OBS-camera", but no similar audio device.
THx

There is a possibility to install a "virtual audio cable", this video is quite good:

rolinger

That doesn't seem to allow audio sync. I have cameras with a long delay so need 1000ms audio sync, but the outputs that can feed in to the virtual cable are all un-delayed. Is there a way to access the sync'ed audio?

rolinger

I've found a workaround for my setup, using VST-plugins. See my post at this forum thread for details (summary- use Reaper.fm delay, but watch out for the extra latency that it adds with delay set to 0)