Audio monitoring - headphones or broadcast, but not both?

Jef Jaeger

I am using OBS with a new Win 10 laptop. I have a high def Canon camera going into input #1 of a Blackmagic Mini ATEM via HDMI cable. Input #2 of the ATEM controls a PowerPoint presentation running on the same laptop. My problem: OBS settings / Audio / Monitoring - If I have the setting on 'default', I can monitor the audio (headphones plugged into laptop) and see it on my OBS gain level meter. But if I am streaming, the audio does not actually broadcast with the video. The meter sees level, and the headphones hear it, but the actual broadcast is silent (video only). If I change the monitor setting to 'HDMI' (the ATEM), I see the level on the meter as before, and the audio is broadcasting live with the video as intended, but now the headphones don't work. Really weird. I am looking for a way for the the audio to be broadcasting with the video as it should, but still be able to pick up my headphones and monitor the audio as it is live streaming. If I switch back to 'default' to hear the headphones while setting up for a live stream, no signal comes through the phones, unless I unplug them and plug them back in. Win 10 asks if I just plugged in headphones...I hit 'yes' and the audio reappears. There seems to be an odd relationship between the OBS software and the computer's sound card. I can't include a log file here because I am at home and not at my church where I am trying to get this right...