Question / Help Audio Issue (Yamaha Mixer)

dropKAG

I have a Yamaha MG10XU mixer. I've got it connected to my streaming server running windows 10. The driver is installed. If I go into the advanced audio properties and monitor the audio input I can hear the audio just fine via the default output (speakers). I've tripled checked all my settings in windows and OBS I think... I've tried multiple configurations but no matter what I try I can't get OBS to provide any audio for that input. OBS sees the input as a valid audio input, but it seem no matter what configuration I try OBS has zero volume for the input (even changed cables and could still hear via the PC not OBS) . I've setup the the Audio section of the Settings. I've went into Advanced Audio Properties and made all the proper adjustments there... still nothing. Any assistance or suggestions would be very welcome. I know I haven't posted all of the information I have or all the settings I tried but I will if need be. I figured I could just answer specific questions from someone who knows the program better.

Much love and thank you in advance for any help.

WBE

OBS sees the input as a valid audio input
So within OBS Studio's Audio Mixer panel you see the bar turning green (or even yellow or red) on sound occurring?

At Advanced Audio Properties, did you set Audio Monitoring to either Monitor only or Monitor and Output?

dropKAG

So within OBS Studio's Audio Mixer panel you see the bar turning green (or even yellow or red) on sound occurring?

At Advanced Audio Properties, did you set Audio Monitoring to either Monitor only or Monitor and Output?

No the sound meter isn't moving on just that input. The LGX (capture card), my Astros (headset) are both working fine so I'm getting audio in OBS just not that one specific line in. So no green, yellow or red on that specific input bar at all.

I tried setting monitoring to all three options in testing with no success. There was no change, I assumed monitor off was an ok setting since I don't need to "monitor" (like the port on a mixer) the audio from OBS, I have a headset connected directly to the mixer monitor port to balance my audio? is that not what those selections are for? What is the "correct" setting in this case?

I also tried removing the checks in the tracks section down to just the first row on the items I wanted active. No change.

I do have a red "Active" next to all input in the Advanced Audio Properties.

Under Settings > Audio I have General set to 48kHz and Stereo. Under devices I have Desktop Audio set to default and Mic/Auxiliary Audio set to "Line (2- MG-XU)" which is my Yamaha mixer. All other settings in that section are disabled. Meters section I didn't change it's Fast and Sample Peak. Advanced section is still default settings which is actually "default" for Monitoring Device and Disable Windows audio ducking is checked. Hotkey section everything is disabled.

I did verify for a 3rd time last night that if I go into device manager and select that device, go to the listen tab, check the box, all the audio plays through my streaming server. So technically speaking the audio is getting to the PC if I can hear it through the advanced properties of that specific line in via the PC speakers or what ever source for output I choose (I have three and all three have audio via the properties box) OBS for some reason just will not pickup any audio so I assume it's a setting somewhere since I can actually hear sound coming into Windows would lead me to believe the driver is working as intended...

Feel free to get highly technical if you need to I've been in the IT services / technical management / technical field / video and editing / audio setup and live shows for most of my life. So feel free to get in depth, give me huge lists of stuff to test or look at or if you need screen shots just let me know.

I'm being high aggressive to figure this out as I'd really like to start streaming... but after hours of testing I just can't figure it out.

d4ve_tv

not sure if this will help or you might already be doing it but I have the same mixer I use for audio from both my PC's. For me I go into OBS/Audio and under devices instead of selecting the mixer under Desktop Audio device you need to select the mixer under Mic/Auxiliary Audio "Line (2-MG-XU) " kind of like selecting it as a mic. If you select it as a desktop audio you don't get any sound

dropKAG

not sure if this will help or you might already be doing it but I have the same mixer I use for audio from both my PC's. For me I go into OBS/Audio and under devices instead of selecting the mixer under Desktop Audio device you need to select the mixer under Mic/Auxiliary Audio "Line (2-MG-XU) " kind of like selecting it as a mic. If you select it as a desktop audio you don't get any sound

Yeah that's how I have it selected now. I tried other settings but desktop is set to desktop and mix/aux is set to "Line (2- MG-XU)". Above right in the middle of my last post it tells my settings for the Audio section. Seems I'm doomed... I hate that I can hear it via Windows but not OBS. I can get sound from my mixer via my speakers if I monitor it via the windows device manger advanced properties, there's a tab to do that... I just don't get it.

WBE

I assumed monitor off was an ok setting since I don't need to "monitor" (like the port on a mixer) the audio from OBS, I have a headset connected directly to the mixer monitor port to balance my audio? is that not what those selections are for? What is the "correct" setting in this case?
That setting is ok. Just mentioned it because not monitoring could be a cause of you not hearing it.

Other try: could you add a source of type Audio Input Capture to your scene(s)?

dropKAG

That setting is ok. Just mentioned it because not monitoring could be a cause of you not hearing it.

Other try: could you add a source of type Audio Input Capture to your scene(s)?

Also already tried to add it as a Audi Input Capture within the Scenes > Sources section and that did nothing. Still no audio. Guess I might give up on OBS and try to find something else that might work. I've uninstalled and reinstalled OBS once already out of complete desperation. That obviously did nothing. I've deleted and recreated the Scenes multiple times to see if something was conflicting. I'm still at a loss that this all worked at one time a year or more ago and now it's pulling teeth to get it to work again. The Yamaha mixer works just fine into Windows 10 pro so I can only assume it's something in OBS.

WBE

Great to hear that!
Maybe you can give a brief summary of the solution for others to benefit from?

WBE

Id be very interested also to see how you resolved this as I think I have a very similar issue with a Soundcraft console....
My recent experiences with a Soundcraft Notepad-8FX learn that the USB connection between laptop and mixer has to be established before starting OBS Studio. If not, I found no other solution to this than exiting and restarting OBS.

Family_Whale

I'm having the same problem and I absolutely cannot seem to get it fixed. I've tried multiple XLR cables, multiple USB to USB type B cables, updated the drivers from the Yamaha site, made sure I'm up to date on OBS Studio and so on. I can monitor myself clearly via the mixer/my headphones/can see that the mic is picking up my voice, OBS recognizes that the MG10XU is there (same with Facebook Live), but the PC refuses to capture any audio. I've updated the mobo's audio drivers as well and to no avail. If anyone knows what the solution is, please let me know.

Thanks in advance (I hope) :D

Cheers

hiroo

Since the OP did not provide their solution, I'll post this after a long period of futzing to get this to work.

I also tried adding the Yamaha mixer (MG20XU) as an Audio Input Device and could see the Yamaha there and select it, but it always showed as inactive and I could get any audio from it. Testing in another application, Audacity, I could see the Yamaha and monitor and record audio from it, so I know that it was being seen by the system and receiving audio from the mixer.

Following the clue left by d4ve_tv, I succeeded in getting the audio input working by:
  • Go into OBS Settings, Audio.
  • Under Global Audio Devices, Set one of the Mic/Auxillary Audio inputs to the mixer "Line (MG-XU)".
  • The audio from the mixer will now show up under the Mic/Aux input meter in OBS.
  • Since I did not want system beeps, etc. to go back out onto the stream, I set all the other devices to "Disabled".
1609117557611.png

It seems that the Yamaha USB driver does not present the mixer to the computer as a separate audio interface as you would expect. Instead, it incorporates itself as an audio input under the system's audio sub-system. So that is why selecting it as its own device does not work. You have to select the system audio, and then select which part of the system audio you want to use.

This seems to work for the simple case of taking microphone, etc. inputs into the mixer and then sending the mixer output to OBS. However, I have not tested further to see what settings would be needed if, for example, I want to play a video or audio file from the computer and have that go out onto the OBS stream (as well as the local projector). In that case, I would have to re-enable Desktop Audio, but then beeps would sneak into the stream.

Last edited: