Question / Help Anyone know what this graphical issue is called?

Orisa

Hello!

I am currently using a Elgato HD60 S external device, brand new with Windows 10 and an older PC. My graphics card is a Radeon R9 280x Windforce, but I do have a new MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 Super coming this week.

https://imgur.com/a/KxiQSdz

I only record offline, and I don't stream at all, and this issue happens in the raw footage, NOT the source / live feed which looks great. In the above picture, I took two photos of the same Super Nintendo game from SNES Classic (HDMI, 2017 system), from Mega Man X. Basically what happens is when I play these retro games where it's 16 bits or simple graphics, in the beginning of any new screen / stage / transition, for a couple seconds the pixels will look kind of messed up and blurred like the left image, then it seems to "re-adjust" itself like the right image, and after that it's fine until a new screen happens. Does anyone know what exactly this is, or what it's even called? Is this what's considered artifacting?

The reason I ask too is because I'm running 1080p with the Elgato HD60 S on OBS Studio with the same default settings, and if I pop in games that are brand new, like Animal Crossing for Nintendo Switch or Zelda: Breath of the Wild, those games look amazing when I'm recording, I don't even see this issue with them. It just seems to be older games in HDMI, like the SNES Classic, Genesis Mini and Switch Online retro library.

So could it be my older graphics card doing this? I have it on X264, the default, and what's weird is if I put it to a super high level like CRF 10 high quality, the footage finally gets rid of this problem, but the recording is like a gig per minute, even for these old games.

Thank you!