Anyone Help with their OBS > Encoding > YT workflow?

NewYears1978

I am currently recording with the advanced settings that mimic I believe the indistinguishable preset (not using simple because it disabled multiple track audio)

My resulting file is of course very large. I record 1440p gameplay scaled to 1080p - the initial recording looks good. I've tested many methods of encoding and adding in my intro movie and such and most of them resulted in crap quality on Youtube.

The only way I could seem to retain good quality was by keeping an as lossless as possible video before uploading, but this makes for MASSIVE file sizes. Do people just upload massive files or?

The lastest test I have done is recording with those settings above, then I import it into after effects with my graphics and I export it to a lossless file upscaled to 1440p (to get the VP9 codec on YT). Oddly this increases the file size (in this example) from 1gb to 40gb for only about a 4min video.

I then run it through handbrake x264 which drops it down to about 800mb. I use RF quality of 16 (I have been trying diff values, 20, 23, 16 etc) and I set constant FPS and Slower on the optimise video portion.

I then upload this. Once YT encodes the 1440p version, it looks decent enough. But what a headache and long process. Just curious if anyone has any pointers or ideas on their workflow, something that might be better, faster and still good quality?

(Sorry if the is the wrong forum for this, I know it's not strictly an OBS question but I figured someone here could help this poor old man out lol)

Here is the resulting file from this test above, ignore the camera and random pauses I was testing only not actual gameplay. This is also 48 FPS recorded in OBS as with Fallout 4 I cannot get a constant 60 (I've tried everything and to retain quality I had to drop my recorded FPS..it's the game not my system. My system is powerful and also I ran the recording on another PC and still had issues..only happens in Bethesda engine games)

SKIP TO AROUND 2 min mark for actual gameplay to see the quality lol.

Oh my specs:
Ryzen 3900x
32gb 3200mhz Gskill Trident
Recording to NVME M.2 512 Gb ssd
1440p Monitor, but scaling in OBS to 1080p
Logitech C920 cam, recording facecam at 720p

I also have a backup rig that is my old computer that is as follows:
i7 4790k
GTX 1050 Ti
SSD drives
16 Gb Ram (slower, 1866 I think)

I tried using NDI to record on that second PC, and it did reduce strain on my main PC but since all the issues were game related it didn't make the process any smoother or anything.