Any tips for Youtube Stream rates? The answers i got from looking myself were ranging from contrary and confusing at best to completly impossible

Hellmann

Fairly easily explained, i stream on twitch with nvenc encoder 1080p and cbr 7750kbps- looks very clean. But a few weeks back i tried to stream on my youtube channel where i already have close to 70 subs, since i thought i had my stream set up pretty well by now with some lil extra things here and there and i could do well to entertain some folks.

I already read something about the youtube streams and put up my rate to 10k kbps instead, uploading 1080p and letting youtube upscale it to 1440p, since i wanted the finished vod to get the vp9 codec instead of the crappy one reserved for anything below it.
The result looked like 480p 25fps, i really dont understand why i assume because i let them upscale it which is probably a super retarded idea.

I just watched some youtube videos which are as usual incredibly unhelpful since im dumb apparently- all they talk about is needing like 40mbps just to get a fast paced fps game to 1080p which is just utterly ridiculous. As far as i understand that is like saying your car has to drive 1k kmph just to manage normal speed while normal cars are inbetween 100-200. How is that supposed to be possible.

Anyways, i´d apprechiate some help on this. I´ve read all kinds of confusing stuff, like upscaling 720 to 1440p on like 12k kbps to get good quality- the 40 mbps thing, i´ve also read one where they said to upscale 1080 to 1440 but didnt mention any rates.
My village internet can do 14mbps average, so i should be able to get about 12mb´s in consistently.

Pc specs are
gtx1660ti
ryzen 5 3600 6core 4.2ghz
and 32gb ram
budget rig for sure, but should be able to stream most anything with reasonable ingame settings
Anyhow, any help way aprechiated!

TryHD

This is what Youtube itself recommends. Just use their recommendations.

they are garbage and must be ignored if you want to stream good quality. Youtube does reencode everything, so delivering as lossless as possible is what you should do.
So as much bitrate as your upstream can handle stable and atleast 1440p60 is what you should ingest if you want to get anything half decend out of youtube.
Beside that they don't fidle with the fps, so if youtubes output looks like 25 fps there is most likely something wrong on your side, so stream + record locally to check the quality of your OBS output and post a log.

Hellmann

Beside that they don't fidle with the fps, so if youtubes output looks like 25 fps there is most likely something wrong on your side, so stream + record locally to check the quality of your OBS output and post a log.
The fps thing is just how i percieved it, i coulda probably expressed that better as i was trying to keep it short. Im usually guilty of talking like a momo either way-
They didnt mess with the fps and it was most definetly an effect of the reencoded video on youtube having too much artifacting going on when having alot of movement on the screen, i was playing a fps horror type game in a jungle setting where you move the camera alot and everytime that happens the whole footage will look like its almost blurring, just with pixelation from the bad encoding and it made it hard to make out any details during camera movements making it look like low fps.

My Youtube quality is absolutely fine on the normal uploads that i record locally- then edit etc. and the pontaneous streams on twitch as well for that matter. The only thing i have problems with is really purely streaming on youtube. Im gonna test what you wrote, do an unlisted stream of the same thing i was doing then for a few minutes and compare the quality afterwards.

So to sum up, i´ll set obs to 1080p upscaled to 1440p, effectively outputting 1440p with 14k bitrate cbr and see what happens- or do you think just straight up 1440p pixeldensity will give better results?

Btw sorry about the late reply im in the process of moving two housholds into one appartement in a diffrent city and have alot to do atm.

Kraezy

There's very few restrictions in place with Youtube streaming, it's one of their "use us instead of Twitch" perks

The answers you'll find are vague due to this, but essentially, throw as much bitrate as your connection / encoder can handle (I normally don't go over 70% of my upload in order to have sufficient bandwidth available in case of any gaming spikes in connection etc).

Key points to always bare in mind: The higher the resolution the higher the bitrate required to reduce pixelation.
You'll find streaming a lower resolution with higher bitrate will give you a better looking stream than a higher resolution lower bitrate.

Last edited: