Any thoughts on catastrophic video slow down

Notinasnaid

Big Sur 11.2.3, Mac Mini M1, OBS 27.0.0 (but seen in previous release).
I am seeing a problem where OBS slows down, sometimes, on certain videos (media sources on local MP4 files).
This is not a small slow down or OBS not being able to keep up. It drops to about 10 seconds PER FRAME (0.1 fps).
Other videos, saved the same way and with the same settings, remain unaffected, if I switch scene to see them.
Returning to the earlier scene restarts the audio as expected, but it is still incredibly slow.
If OBS is restarted the video will play at its normal rate. For a while at least.
Some videos seem more prone to this than others, it seems the longest videos are most likely to be hit.
The log file on the latest occasion includes these lines, but just once
Max audio buffering reached
adding 917 milliseconds of audio buffering, total buffering is now 960 milliseconds. Restarting source audio.
Source XXX is lagging (over by 6402 ms) at max audio buffering. Restarting source audio.

I have struggled to see any signs of what is going on. OBS does not use more, or less, CPU. There is negligible disk activity.
I've saved some spin dumps, but I can't really find any signs. (Tips for what to look for in a Spin Dump welcome!)
Another thing to note, though this may be the subject of a separate post. Apparently unconnected but started at the same time, chiefly when using OBS as a Virtual Camera for Zoom (but continues if Virtual Camera is switched off)... intermittent audio problems where audio drops out, and I find that the coreaudiod service has crashed and restarted.
Insights welomed!