Question / Help Any idea what this weird glitching could be? (pics inside)

Orisa

Hi all,

I'm using the Elgato game capture HD 2012 model, with OBS Studio. This weird glitching seems to happen in that software, but also any other one I use like the Elgato version, and it happens in the souce / live feed as well as any recordings. Someone helped me brighten up the picture to show exactly where it's coming from: It's always the right side of the screen when it happens, and I get these weird, scrambled artifacts or squares, no clue what it is. This happens on the systems I've recorded like NES classic, SNES classic and Nintendo Switch, always when there is a lot of black on the screen.

Original photo with glitching (hard to see it): https://imgur.com/a/d3KoGEu
Brightened photo (clearly see it on right): https://imgur.com/1XRQgaN

Could it just be this used Elgato 2012 model itself doing this? I also have an older Radeon R9 280 Windforce card from like 2013 I think, so I didn't know if it could be the GPU instead. Any other ideas? Thank you!

FerretBomb

That looks like garbage data/noise from the analog capture on the Game Capture HD.
Have you tried using Elgato's native capture software to see if it still does it there? Actually, you said that you have, and the issue is still present.

Time to reach out to Elgato Support and see if they have a fix, that's almost definitely a hardware issue, or possibly something to do with RF interference on the cables, at least on the retro systems. If it's still there on the HDMI input from the Switch, it'll be something internal to the capture device.
Elgato Support will know a lot more about their hardware, and if something like a firmware update could fix it, if it's just inherent, or if your unit is damaged/malfunctioning.

Orisa

Okay thanks. I was actually thinking of getting a Elgato HD60 S, one of the newer ones just to have in case it was the device, and if not I'll still have a newer external device to have around. So would it more likely be the Elgato game capture HD then, instead of my GPU if you knew? Sorry I'm really dumb with this stuff, I'm still learning.

I've tried other HDMI cables as well just in case, (along with like you mentioned it doing in OBS and the Elgato capture software, both updated with the correct drivers).

I've tried asking on the Elgato Reddit, and also their Discord but I received no help. Do you mean like calling customer support? Like I said I was just more curious if you guys thought it was the actual hardware, since I'm using a used 2012 Elgato game capture HD (even though it looked new).

Thank you!

FerretBomb

Okay thanks. I was actually thinking of getting a Elgato HD60 S, one of the newer ones just to have in case it was the device, and if not I'll still have a newer external device to have around. So would it more likely be the Elgato game capture HD then, instead of my GPU if you knew? Sorry I'm really dumb with this stuff, I'm still learning.

I've tried other HDMI cables as well just in case, (along with like you mentioned it doing in OBS and the Elgato capture software, both updated with the correct drivers).

I've tried asking on the Elgato Reddit, and also their Discord but I received no help. Do you mean like calling customer support? Like I said I was just more curious if you guys thought it was the actual hardware, since I'm using a used 2012 Elgato game capture HD (even though it looked new).

Thank you!
The HD60 S doesn't support analog inputs; if you intend to continue playing on retro consoles and step up to one of those, you'll need an upscaler/converter as well, like the Framemeister mini-xrgb, RetroTINK, or OSSC unless your consoles are HDMI-modded.
Yeah, if it's doing it in their software, it's an issue with the device. There's still the possibility that a firmware update might be able to fix it, but you'd have to ask them about that.

I'd just email them, if it was me. They still do email support. Open a ticket from their website, or grab the support email address. That's the only official support vector for them AFAIK.

Orisa

Okay thank you Ferret! Sorry if this was a misunderstanding, but the NES classic and SNES classic are all newer systems from 2016 and 2017, they both use HDMI like the Nintendo Switch. So all of these systems I've tried have that issue in one game or another, but mainly with the ones with lots of black color (like the default black overlays you see).

Thanks for the help, I'll open a ticket with them, sounds like it's worth a try!

Orisa

If anyone ends up looking this up in the future for help with this question, I figured it out! I did end up buying a brand new Elgato HD60 S, and it completely took care of the issue. Not more weird glitching on the right side, games run smooth and lag free live and recording. So my used Elgato game capture HD 2012 model was the souce of the problem; faulty device? Who knows.