Bug Report AMD VCE game recording broken after Windows 10 1511 update

xsimbyx

As the thread title suggests, game recording after the november Windows 10 update is not working as it should, to put it mildly.

As you can see from the Youtube video I made (recording was more than 30sec long btw), it's a stuttery skippy mess.
Log file tells the story:

11:29:32.592: Output 'adv_file_output': Total frames: 1955
11:29:32.592: Output 'adv_file_output': Number of skipped frames: 1910 (97.6982%)

Almost all frames skipped. And it happens only in games. I can capture desktop no problem. I can also record games using software x264 no problems.

Before this Windows update, OBS MP worked flawlessly. GPU drivers don't make a difference.

Tried installing October Windows 10 rls again. Working. Back to november, broken. Fresh installs, everything else the same.

And yes exactly the same in every game I tried.

Sample:
https://youtu.be/vDvqQowKo7Q

Last log:
https://gist.github.com/3a6efc1b19997fe1893c

Last edited:
Fair enough, The Mediafoundation Hardware Encoders OBS MP uses are known to be lacking. So maybe that's what's going awry here...

xsimbyx

Fair enough, The Mediafoundation Hardware Encoders OBS MP uses are known to be lacking. So maybe that's what's going awry here...

Other than the problems with CBR I never had any issues before, that's why it's so frustrating. I can't pinpoint what causes this recording problems in latest Windows 10 build.

Back to testing.

xsimbyx

I guess when you try almost everything, whatever remains is the likely cause, no matter how improbable ;)

As soon as I RE-enabled (it was obviously not enabled after Windows update and fresh installs) AMDs overdrive in drivers, recording with AMD VCE in OBS MP is working like a champ again.

To say that I'm surprised is an understatement. How could this even be related?

Vieron82

I have a similiar problem.
I am using Obs Mp 0.12.2 and an R9 270 oc card.
I recorded a video in 1080p 50fps and 25Mbit bitrate.
Next time i recorded a video it was a mess, and the codec info show only about 9000 kbit/sec bitrate.
Where to enable again the overdrive?
Or i have a different problem?

I have a similiar problem.
I am using Obs Mp 0.12.2 and an R9 270 oc card.
I recorded a video in 1080p 50fps and 25Mbit bitrate.
Next time i recorded a video it was a mess, and the codec info show only about 9000 kbit/sec bitrate.
Where to enable again the overdrive?
Or i have a different problem?
You should start a new topic and attach a log file of a recording. We can then see if it's a similar issue. Also add what you used before the configuration that caused the issue..

xsimbyx

I have to chime in again guys :( It seems issue is not solved. I should have done more testing before I started celebrating.

It seems what really happened is I turned on in-game VSync and that improved things a lot. My guess is it lowered GPU usage by capping FPS to 60. Which resulted in smooth no-skipped-frames-recording in that scene. When I did more testing issue cropped up again.

I also noticed that I get smooth recordings if I lower in-game settings a lot, which makes no sense to me as this was never the case before. Also, VCE is a dedicated silicon AFAIK so it shouldn't matter.

Now I'll install a fresh copy of pre update Windows 10 and do some more testing.

Last edited:

FxSlay

Same problem here, I think this is a fault of a new drivers crimson 15.1.1 beta or just 15.1 Crimson. Its need to be tested :c I dont have old drivers.