Bug Report AMD HW encoder unavailable in 21.0.1 (worked in 20.1.3)

ddribin

Hey all,

I was using the AMD hardware encoder in OBS version 20.1.3, but when I upgraded to 21.0.1, it is no longer an option in the pull down. AFAIK, all my drivers are up to date. Attached are the log files.

Thanks,

-Dave

Attachments

• OBS-20.1.3-log.txt
    15.5 KB · Views: 13
  • OBS-21.0.1-log.txt
    10 KB · Views: 11

ddribin

Thanks for the reply Harold, but if you followed the link, the latest for my laptop+video card is 17.10. For whatever reason, if 18.x is out for others, it's not available for my configuration.

What's wrong with with 17.10? HW encoding was working fine in OBS 20.1.3. What's in 18.x that isn't in 17.10? Why does OBS require the bleeding edge drivers? Does HW encoding change that much from release to release?

Thanks,

-Dave

DEDRICK

@Xaymar blacklisted the older AMD drivers but it screws some people over who legitimately no driver updates . There's no Adrenline drivers for Windows 8.1 so no one can use AMF in 8.1 and Pro GPUs aren't on the same update cycle as RX, completely different drivers.

You can try checking if he added support in a newer version of the plugin, the latest can be found on GitHub.

https://github.com/Xaymar/obs-studio_amf-encoder-plugin

Last edited:

ddribin

@Xaymar blacklisted the older AMD drivers but it screws some people over who legitimately no driver updates . There's no Adrenline drivers for Windows 8.1 so no one can use AMF in 8.1 and Pro GPUs aren't on the same update cycle as RX, completely different drivers.

You can try checking if he added support in a newer version of the plugin, the latest can be found on GitHub.

https://github.com/Xaymar/obs-studio_amf-encoder-plugin

Ah! The plugin included with OBS 21.0.1 was blocking older driver versions, but version 2.3.2 of the plugin removed the block. It will load older versions, and then just log. So the solution is to manually install version 2.3.2 of the AMF encoder plugin on top of OBS 21.0.1. I tried that out and it works for me. Thanks a lot!

-Dave