Question / Help All sounds muted with mic

Pacque

Hi guys,

Sincerely thank you in advance for reading this, since I can't imagine this isn't a common issue new users find themselves in, only I can't seem to find any threads about it.

So here goes; recently installed OBS and having some fun with it. Recording gameplay and other things, all with working sound coming from the game, windows itself and for example Spotify. Now I wanted to add a mic so I can record my voice as well.
After a couple hours of fighting my pc on this one, I won. The issue was that different mics I plugged in were showing connected just no signal was coming in. The solutions I finally found was that there was an option in the Windows privacy settings saying that no app can use my mic. so after unclicking that, it worked. I could now see signal coming in at the mixer in Windows AND OBS. Since is was late in the evening at that point I went to bed and returned to it this afternoon. Only to notice the following:

When in OBS, when my mic is added to sources, all other sounds were muted. At least I couldnt hear them. When there is no mic in sources, all is fine again.
Thought I maybe had to add all sources i wanted to hear to monitor, but that didnt do the trick.

So can you guys please tell me what simple thing i am missing here?

Again thanks in advance!