All fonts but Ariel not appearing in OBS. Preview screen shows font very fuzzy

Hey all. Apologies ahead if this is being posted in wrong area.

So I am at my wits end. This is just mind boggling. I cannot figure out what happened. Everything worked fine a month ago. I don't remember any type of updates or changes what so ever other than restarting my computer maybe once or twice.

But when I choose any other text other than Ariel, all texts are either very fuzzy/distorted, or the text just doesnt appear. Some disappear. Just weird. I have tried EVERYTHING that multiple forums have suggested from removing the font(s), reinstalling them, restarting my computer, and even uninstalling OBS entirely, including settings, plugins, or anything that had been changed. Uninstalled and reinstalled a fresh new copy and even updated OBS and STILL it does the same thing. Only Ariel font works. Everything else is fuzzy/distorted.

Also I noticed that when I change anything font wise, the frame seems to always want to blow up to a HUGE size, even if the font is set to like 13 or 14 size.

here are some snap shots below

1591296850160.png

choosing a different font

1591296909272.png

Would really appreciate any help. Thanks

So update guys; It seems if I change the fonts to 72 and higher; naturally blowing up the size of the font, the fuzzy/distortion goes away and its a solid font. So it appears that SOMETHING in OBS is by default forcing the fonts to be at max size and if I set the font to 12, it makes it extremely fuzzy/distorted. So I guess my new question is how do I set OBS to not maximize the fonts by default??

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
OBS defaults to using size 256 in the font selection dialog. The preview in the text source scales to window size, the text in your scene will be whatever font size you selected (and subject to looking like crap if you pick size 12 and blow it up). If you change font sizes significantly, it's recommended you reset the source size (Ctrl + R). Ideally you don't want to scale the source but only pick bigger or smaller font sizes as needed.

OBS defaults to using size 256 in the font selection dialog. The preview in the text source scales to window size, the text in your scene will be whatever font size you selected (and subject to looking like crap if you pick size 12 and blow it up). If you change font sizes significantly, it's recommended you reset the source size (Ctrl + R). Ideally you don't want to scale the source but only pick bigger or smaller font sizes as needed.

Hhmm; weird. Is that how it is with the new update? Reason I ask is I NEVER had my fonts default at 256. They always defaulted at max 72 and they never became distorted or fuzzy up until recent and when I went in to my fonts, lo and behold, your right; they are now 256 max. This is odd. Its got to be an OBS update, because like I mentioned; this never did this recently. Now it seems that the only way I can make the font appear right or get rid of the fuzziness/distortion is if I leave it at 256 and manually shrink the frame window down to the size I want the font to be; this is plain stupid. You would think OBS would design the font to where the frame window defaults to the size you change for your font. Shouldnt be based on your window resolution or whatever bs that would be.

Theres still something wrong that doesnt add up because in the recent past when I would change my font size, it didnt shrink the text INSIDE the texts frame window. Instead the frame BLOWS up a mile long if I shrink the text down from 256 to like 30. Makes the text extremely tiny but the frame still is big but it expands a mile long and I have to use shift-left button on the mouse to constantly shrink the frame down. If I change font again, boom, the frame expands out again.

So yah something is definitely wrong and its not my windows resolution or anything that changed it. I think its OBS's recent update that screwed it all up because there is over a dozen other articles I am now reading where many other users are now having multiple issues with fonts blowing up, fonts being fuzzy all of a sudden, etc

Basically in the past, the font would be the same size as the fonts frame. So if I resized the frame, the font would resize along with the frame. NOW it doesnt so this. The font is tiny and half the size of the frame. I also noticed that when I put in a scroll filter in and want to scroll the text vertically, it doesnt move as fast as it once did. Now I have to set it at max just to make the text scroll. That's not right.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
The default font size was raised recently but the behavior with regards to scaling hasn't changed to my knowledge. Not entirely sure what you mean by the frame - if you mean the source, resizing a source always scales the contents, it would not raise the font size. It's generally fine to put a big font size and resize the source to be smaller, but the other way around will make for blurry fonts.

The default font size was raised recently but the behavior with regards to scaling hasn't changed to my knowledge. Not entirely sure what you mean by the frame - if you mean the source, resizing a source always scales the contents, it would not raise the font size. It's generally fine to put a big font size and resize the source to be smaller, but the other way around will make for blurry fonts.

Ok I figured the work around. Eh, not exactly what I preferred BUT its workable. Appreciate the explanation. Thanks