Question / Help Add Source - Get Infinite Screens - Exhausts RAM

87s

I am a total newibie to screen recording. I have been asked to record my actions with regards to a bug on a website.
I set source as Display Capture, but get infinite screens on the display, disappearing into infinity in the centre of the screen. Each has a red outline & each shows my cursor moving. I assume this is not correct & is why my 8gb of RAM is soon used up.
What am I doing incorrectly? I installed with auto recommended settings.
Also I don't get asked for a save path & so don't know where the recordings will be saved.

WIN 7, i7 2.7ghz quadcore, 8gb RAM.

carlmmii

You added a display capture. This captures your entire monitor's contents and puts it into the scene. So, if you have OBS open in the foreground, it is going to grab the image that it sees of OBS, and place that within the OBS canvas. For the next frame, it will do the same thing -- grab the whole screen (OBS, and the previously captured frame), and put that into the canvas.

This is essentially the exact same thing that happens if you take a video camera and point it at the screen where it's hooked up to -- you'll see the infinite loop of what is being captured, smaller and smaller.

Just start recording, and minimize OBS. The recording will continue, and just restore OBS and stop recording when you are done.

You can also set up hotkeys to start/stop recording without having to deal with having the OBS window up during the recording.

Ideally, you should place OBS on a secondary monitor so that this effect is a non-issue entirely, but if you only have the one monitor to work with, then hotkeys will be your best option.

Additionally, if you just need to capture window contents (and the programs work with it), you can use window capture instead of display capture, and that will work regardless of window layering, so it doesn't matter if any other program like OBS is on top.

87s

Additionally, if you just need to capture window contents (and the programs work with it), you can use window capture instead of display capture, and that will work regardless of window layering, so it doesn't matter if any other program like OBS is on top.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks carlmmii. I needed to capture video footage of me doing various actions on a website. I managed to do the recording okay (before the RAM was exhausted).

Does window capture capture video or just screen shots?

I don't have access to a 2nd monitor.

I noticed though that even when OBS is not recording & is just passive it exhausts my RAM within minutes. This doesn't seem right.

carlmmii

Window capture captures the live contents.

Exhausting your RAM is not something that would be caused by this, unless you are severely starved of available RAM to begin with.

Reactions: 87s