Question / Help A video sound and how to manage the mix table

Nataka

Hi guys, i've downloaded OBS Studio yesterday since i'm streaming and i had a lot of issues with Xsplit.

I've created multiple scene that seems to works fine (not tested yet), but i've created a scene that i want to use as a "BRB Scene". It means i only put in this scene a media file, which is a video that plays a countdown to tells the viewer when i'll be back. The problem is that the video should play sound. I can see the video playing sound in the mix table but i can't hear it, is it normal ?

Will it play sound on the stream but not in my hearphones ? (It would be amazing since i couldn't do that with Xsplit)

My second question is related to te first. Can i separate some sounds from my desktop sound ? I'll explain : Sometimes i stream with guests or friends, and i'm using a software of voice communication such as TeamSpeak. Can it be possible to isolate the Teamspeak sound in the mixtable, in order to for example, put the "BRB scene" and mute the TeamSpeak Sound + my mic on the stream, but i can still speak and hear on Teamspeak while my stream doesn't hear us. I've seen a lot of big streamers doing so, but i think they use a real mix table...

Thanks for reading me, and if my english is not good enough to be understandable, do not hesitate to tell me so i can explain with other words.

Byyyyyye :)

Nataka

EDIT :

Ok, i've figured out my second problem by putting any of my audio device in the same audio track. Then i just check and uncheck any of the device i want the viewer to hear. I've tried by recording and it plays the sound of my video too even if i don't hear it while i record, which is perfect.

But now i've a quesiton : What are the audio track usefull for so ? I thought it was if i record, it separates the audio between for example, my microphone, and my desktop audio. So that i can edit my microphone audio with Audacity for example.

Is it what it is usefull for ? That's not logic since in flv you can only have one audiotrack at the same time recorded. Should i change to mkv ?

But anyway, it is impossible to use multiple audiotracks in stream ?

Suslik V

Why, Harold?

Why cameras not shooting in mkv? Maybe mov is better suggestion? Mkv has a lot of benefits due to free license, but I don't know sources of mkv files origin, only video converters. Mov is default format for my digital camera. Maybe you want to suggest writing fragmented mp4/mov - I agree, it is wise, you'll need to fill custom muxer options to enable this feature in OBS Studio. Ts, maybe ts is the best option?

Harold

Why? Because the file doesn't need to be finalized to be usable when using MKV for multi-track audio.

Cameras don't shoot in mkv because they don't do multitrack audio AND are not known for non-graceful termination of the recording process that causes corruption in mp4.

Suslik V

OK if I suggest fragmented mp4/mov? OBS Studio Custom Muxer Settings: movflags=frag_keyframe min_frag_duration=4000000
Are you ok with it?

Harold

I still don't recommend it, because you will still loose the entire fragment in the instance that the recording gets interrupted.

MKV will lose at MOST 2-3 seconds worth of footage at the end.

Nataka

Thanks for answers guys ! I just come with another last problem, is it possible to isolate only Teamspeak and create an audio source in the mix table just for it or not ? I've looked and i don't think so but maybe i missed something ^^'

Suslik V

...Cameras don't shoot in mkv because they don't do multitrack audio AND are not known for non-graceful termination of the recording process that causes corruption in mp4.
I truncated manually my camera's mov file - it plays well until the actual end.

Portable devices has only few amount of ram - no place for storing the GROWING ending data, I think, this is the main disadvantage for such processing. And user don't want to wait until something is completed. Also, power loss can take place everywhere (your device can fall or have strong shake - battery will disconnect; low battery power off is very limited in time and processing, it designed to flush cache data).

... lose at MOST 2-3 seconds worth of footage at the end.
then I can lower min_frag_duration to 1000000, for example.