Question / Help 59.94 Has A Stutter Only When Streaming To Youtube. Can Anyone Confirm!?

DKRecords

Been broken for almost a year! 59.94 Stutters every 10 to 12 seconds. Streaming on YouTube at 60.00 fixes this issue But I have to output 59.94! Seems like its only me.

Device Specifics. Processor - AMD Ryzen TR 1950X Graphics Card - Nvidia GTX 770 4GB SC Drives - SanDisk Extreme II 240GB, SanDisk Extreme II 120GB Memory Kit - G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3200 C16 4x8GB Capture Card - Elgato HD 60 Webcam - Logitech C920 HD

Video Explaining In More Detail The Issue - https://youtu.be/Ww3TGzS0BqY

Can anyone who live streams at 59.94 test this on YouTube & report back to me if you are seeing the same issue. I am currently in a dispute with Youtube. They seem to think there isn't an issue.
So this is my last idea....

Everyone Please Test Streaming To YouTube @ 59.94
This video will show you what the stutter looks like - https://youtu.be/Ww3TGzS0BqY

I don’t even have to be using my Elgato to make this problem happen. You play or stream with anything. It doesn’t matter. If the stream is set to 59.94 You will see the issue plain as day! Could be a video a webcam a capture card it doesn’t matter. If its streamed at 59.94 you will see a stutter every 10 to 12 seconds on the live feed. Also Once YouTube Has Processed The Stream Into a Video The Stutter Is Gone!

Log File Attached: Just in case.

Attachments

• 2019-02-23 22-34-26.txt
    18.8 KB · Views: 35

Narcogen

You are the first person I've seen say they have to stream on YouTube at 59.94. Is there a specific reason?

Agamemnus

It's weird, and I wouldn't have guessed it, but your video demonstrating it is very good. I can only guess that the live stream is actually in 60fps, but it's a real-time transcode, and every so often as the multipliers cross over, it inserts frames.

If you can, please test your live stream again, but open the "stats for nerds" on the live stream. Check the frame-rate. That will be your first main clue if I'm guessing correctly, or it will confirm that I'm completely off the mark.

INS4NITY

Why do you "have" to output to 59.94? That's a cable broadcast standard, most internet streaming services are going to assume that you're broadcasting at an even 30fps or 60fps. Like @Agamemnus said, when the expected frames and the actual frames aren't synced, I'd imagine that YouTube is most likely inserting frames to compensate. Think of it like setting one metronome to 60bpm and another to 59bpm; they'd spend a lot of time in sync, but they'll drift in and out of sync from time to time.

DKRecords

It's weird, and I wouldn't have guessed it, but your video demonstrating it is very good. I can only guess that the live stream is actually in 60fps, but it's a real-time transcode, and every so often as the multipliers cross over, it inserts frames.

If you can, please test your live stream again, but open the "stats for nerds" on the live stream. Check the frame-rate. That will be your first main clue if I'm guessing correctly, or it will confirm that I'm completely off the mark.
Thanks for the help. & yes I have done the same test with stats for nerds open. No frames dropped.

DKRecords

Why do you "have" to output to 59.94? That's a cable broadcast standard, most internet streaming services are going to assume that you're broadcasting at an even 30fps or 60fps. Like @Agamemnus said, when the expected frames and the actual frames aren't synced, I'd imagine that YouTube is most likely inserting frames to compensate. Think of it like setting one metronome to 60bpm and another to 59bpm; they'd spend a lot of time in sync, but they'll drift in and out of sync from time to time.

I would just stream in 60.00FPS if capture cards actually outputted in 60.00FPS. But they output in 59.94FPS. So upping the frame rate in OBS to 60.00 Causes This Issue... Maybe Not as noticeable but still there none the less(Probably Why No One Has Caught It)
60.00 Stutter Video - https://youtu.be/DLKrcehZ_Ds

Outputting in 59.94 is best since its the native frame rate of the card.
Elgato 59.94.PNG

Also Elgato Themselves Show 59.94 in there own setup video for OBS.
oBS 2.png

Thanks For All The Help Everyone!

Last edited:

Narcogen

Just about every capture device operates at either 59.94 or 29.97, and most people are streaming at either 30fps or 60fps because that's what is supported on streaming platforms and on devices people watch from. The real question is, do you want your PC to do the conversion, or do you want it done downstream of you?

If you were working in broadcast, 59.94 would absolutely be what you should output. Technically YouTube should accept anything at 60fps or less and convert as needed, but as you see, that seems to be problematic for the output you are sending them.

If sending them 60fps solves it, I'd imagine you should probably do it.

DKRecords

Just about every capture device operates at either 59.94 or 29.97, and most people are streaming at either 30fps or 60fps because that's what is supported on streaming platforms and on devices people watch from. The real question is, do you want your PC to do the conversion, or do you want it done downstream of you?

If you were working in broadcast, 59.94 would absolutely be what you should output. Technically YouTube should accept anything at 60fps or less and convert as needed, but as you see, that seems to be problematic for the output you are sending them.

Well it solves the stutter Youtube is creating. But since the card outputs 59.94. When you stream at 60.00 you get a hitch instead of a stutter about every 10 to 12 seconds or so. As seen is this example video.

60.00 Stutter Video - https://youtu.be/DLKrcehZ_Ds

I suppose I just have to pick what poison I want for my stream.

DKRecords

Also I have experienced the same issue trying to stream from Game Capture HD As Well. I am guessing Elgato's Software Streams At 59.94 As Well. So this has to be an issue on YouTube's end. Funny it worked fine for years before this.

Agamemnus

I missed it live. The stats for nerds thing, it's not to check for dropped frames, it's to check the frame RATE. If you're sending in 59.94 and YouTube player stats for nerds shows that it's 60fps, then you will know that YouTube is converting it in real-time on the fly, and that's your proof to take to the YouTube help section and argue your case.

DKRecords

I missed it live. The stats for nerds thing, it's not to check for dropped frames, it's to check the frame RATE. If you're sending in 59.94 and YouTube player stats for nerds shows that it's 60fps, then you will know that YouTube is converting it in real-time on the fly, and that's your proof to take to the YouTube help section and argue your case.
Well in that case you are correct. It does say 1080p 60fps not 59.94 under stats for nerds so you are right it must be doing real time conversion and there lies the issue I will mention this to them hopefully they understand I might have to explain it in five different ways but I will link to this conversation.

vodamerc

Did this ever get resolved? It’s now 2023 and I’m having the same problem with 29.97 & 59.94 streams. My camera outputs these frame rates so I can’t resort to 30 or 60.