4K 60FPS Youtube Streaming seems to be choppy...

K4ij00

Hi folks! I've recently started to stream to Youtube using OBS, and I set the settings to max quality and 4K 60FPS, using NVenc. I set the bitrate to 50.000kbps since Youtube's guidelines for 4K 60FPS recommend a bitrate between 20.000kbps and 51.000kbps. Should I try raising it to 51.000kbps or is there another setting that I should change in order to get a fluid stream? Because with the settings I chose the video was just stuttering, so I lowered the frame rate to 4K 30FPS... Now, my internet connection is no slouch (fibre-optic capable of 220mbps) and my rig is also up to par for that resolution ( 2 x 2080 Super in NVLink), so I was wondering what I have to do to achieve fluid 4K 60FPS... I already posted the question in the Youtube forum but apparently nobody's willing to answer there, so I'd be ever so grateful to get some support here...

Many thanks in advance!

TryHD

Don't use NVenc max quality, instead use quality or if it still stutters use performance or max performance, beside that if the video quality is ok just stick with it, if not increase the bitrate.

K4ij00

Hi TryHD,

Thanks for the reply! Well, I've tried all of the quality settings you've mentioned, but to no avail, still choppy @ 60FPS, so maybe I'll have to fiddle with the bitrate... Would you know what the max bitrate would be for Youtube, or is there none and it's just as high as I can set it?

K4ij00

Ok, so I came across this table which stated that Youtube's recommended bitrate for 4K 60FPS is between 66 and 85MBPS, yet somehow OBS seems to have difficulties going higher than 51MBPS... would that be an issue of OBS itself or somehow my internet connection or Youtube?

TryHD

bitrate makes no difference at choppyness, than your problem is SLI. Turn it off or better, remove one card from your system and test if it makes a differents

K4ij00

Damn... guess I'll have to upgrade then when the 3000-cards come out... but I'll give it a try anyways, although the whole point of having the two was for them to be able to provide max fps, since my monitor supports 120, and it would've been either those two or a 2080TI, and I'd seen reports that in general 2 2080 Supers gave more FPS than a single 2080TI... guess I didn't have this issue in mind when I built this rig... *sigh*

Thanks for the insights, TryHD! Will let you know if your solution worked!

K4ij00

Well, seems to no avail... not even setting the FPS to 59,94... guess these Nvidia cards just don't have the juice to stream at 60FPS in 4K... but at least 30FPS seems to be ok... guess I'll stream at higher FPS after I upgrade! Either that or... switching over to software h.264 wouldn't be recommended over NVenc? I mean, I got a Ryzen 7 3800X... What would you think, TryHD?

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Even having the 2nd card in the system will cause issues. SLI is a dead tech, I suggest you just remove one of the cards as the FPS gains are mediocre at best and it introduces so many issues.

K4ij00

Hi R1CH!

Yeah, I know it's a bit on the verge of obsolescence, but as I said, the main objective was to be able to get 120FPS @ 4K, and a single 2080TI didn't guarantee me that. Well, guess I'll have to upgrade the GPU once the new generation comes out, if the rumored performance gains turn out to be true that is (70-80% gain over the previous generation)...

TryHD

If you really need your SLI you can also build a second system with a capture card, nvidia 1650 super or anything with turing nvenc, some middleclass CPU and a capture card and you are ready to go. Only if you have a 3840x2160 at more than 60 hz display you are out of luck because there are no capture cards for that.