Bug Report 3 webcams 1 usb hub :)

Marco Viggiano

Hi there, I have 3 Logitech c920 cameras that when connected independently to the computer can be used as separate video sources, but when I connect them through a USB hub, can only see one at a time. Is this a bug or an intended functionality?

Regards,
Marco

Harold

It's underlying issues not caused by anything in OBS. It's more of a USB behavior on windows thing.

sam686

USB hubs without their own power may reach max power and unable to run all devices. Is your USB hub powered by wall outlet?

USB only have limited bandwidth, to get all 3 webcams to show up at the same time in one USB controller, may require dropping all webcam's resolution to maybe 320x240, at least for webcams that don't have built-in video compression.

Harold

C920s are notorious for eating entire USB 2.0 channels on their own.
Power isn't the only concern here, and it's USB Device ID handling that causes this problem.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
I am still hoping for USB3.0 and good quality hubs to solve this problem. But so far I havent seen such a solution working yet. Can only recommend to connect them to separate ports and not through a hub. (Nothing we can do on the OBS side, its a hardware thing as Harold and Sam explained)