3 vs 6 displays....

Well i am trying to migrate to windows 10 but obs isn't allowing me. I am using 6 monitors. In windows 7, all 6 showed up. In windows 10, only 3? what the heck? Can obs solve this problem for me? Or anyone else? Thanks.

FerretBomb

Post a logfile.
Chances are good that all six are not plugged into the same GPU unless you're using an Eyefinity card. All displays must be driven from the GPU that OBS is running on, to be capturable.

FerretBomb

Yeah. Don't do that. If nothing else it also splits your PCIe lanes on most motherboards, which is VERY bad when you're using OBS. Single-GPU is very strongly recommended.

7 and 10 have significant back-end differences. Getting into the technical side would not help, as there is no way to work around this behavior in Win10.

Yeah. Don't do that. If nothing else it also splits your PCIe lanes on most motherboards, which is VERY bad when you're using OBS. Single-GPU is very strongly recommended.

7 and 10 have significant back-end differences. Getting into the technical side would not help, as there is no way to work around this behavior in Win10.
So you don't know why this is occruing or don't know how to fix this? Is that what you are telling me ? haha

There must be something in win 10 that's preventing me from seeing 6 monitors. I can see 6 monitors in win 7 using the same version obs. Why is that?

FerretBomb

So you don't know why this is occruing or don't know how to fix this? Is that what you are telling me ? haha
I know why it is occurring.
The problem is, even if I tell you the technical specifics on what is causing it, there is no way to change it in Win10.
It cannot be worked around. It cannot be fixed.

The problem is, if I tell you the details behind what and why, you'll be tempted to go and try to work around it anyway. Best-case, you'll get bored and give up after wasting several hours. Worst-case, you'll try digging into the files for the subsystem in question and render your system non-bootable. It is a core functionality change at the OS level, which CANNOT be made to work the way it does under Win7.

I know why it is occurring.
The problem is, even if I tell you the technical specifics on what is causing it, there is no way to change it in Win10.
It cannot be worked around. It cannot be fixed.

The problem is, if I tell you the details behind what and why, you'll be tempted to go and try to work around it anyway. Best-case, you'll get bored and give up after wasting several hours. Worst-case, you'll try digging into the files for the subsystem in question and render your system non-bootable. It is a core functionality change at the OS level, which CANNOT be made to work the way it does under Win7.

Then can you help me fix this "Failed to start recording" bs i am seeing recently? haha. Everything works fine then one day, i started seeing this bs. :) It's either Nvidia or OBS, which one is it?

No i don't want to change it to x264.
Yes, it's the latest driver.

I did try to change some settings on nvidia control panel but it is restored to default. The problem is still there.

FerretBomb

We'd need to see a logfile from a recording attempt where the error occurred.
Most commonly, that error happens if you're trying to record to a directory that doesn't exist or OBS doesn't have write-access to, or if your GPU drivers are outdated. Which would be a bit confusing if it's intermittent.

Random guess would be OBS trying to load up on one of the GPUs, and for some reason trying to hook NVENC on the other one (which will cause an error-out failure; OBS can only use NVENC if it's running on the same GPU). Again, multiple GPUs are VERY strongly advised against, as they can cause a LOT of weird issues.

With 'remove the second GPU' assumed to not be an acceptable option, I'd probably try a clean-reinstall of the GPU drivers, and a manual assignment of the GPU to use in Windows (not the nVidia control panel, the Settings app method for W10 1903 and later).

Yeah, but that still doesn't explain why it worked the first time with the same driver. Everything is the same except the fact that i changed some setttings on the Nvidia control panel. Then one day the error came up. I reinstall a clean win 7, same driver, still not working. I might try an old driver. Maybe that would work.

BTW, obs has the option to choose which gpu to use. I see lots of complaints about OBS not running well. Ya'll know what ya doing over there? :)