Question / Help 2fps performance on older OSX

Tygerbug

My OBS is streaming at about 2 frames per second regardless of settings. It encodes very slowly.

I'll admit my computer is not ideal for streaming. It's a Hackintosh built at the end of 2011, running OSX 10.8.5.

2.94 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor, 8GB 1605 MHz DDR3 Memory.

I used to stream with various versions of Livestream Procaster, which worked pretty well. These have now been discontinued, but there wasn't a problem doing normal 30fps streaming.

I'm now running OBS 0.5.1-72, which is a very old and early version of OBS and (I think) the only version which works on my older Mac.

Performance is very poor and I wonder if there's anything I can do about that? Alternately, is there another streaming software which would work?

Tygerbug

I was told when the computer was built in late 2011 not to update it, as it's a Hackintosh and doing so could break the system pretty easily. It's a risk. At this point it would be good to get a new system entirely, but I haven't had the cash.

Narcogen

That is generally true, that if you're not familiar with the process used to install OSX on a Hackintosh, you probably should not perform major release upgrades. However, 10.8.5 is old enough at this point to be problematic for certain uses, and that version of OBS is positively ancient.