Question / Help 20 second stream delay?

Jesse Halteman

So I’ve been going crazy trying to figure this out. When I stream using OBS to twitch I get a crazy like 20-30 second stream delay. That makes it super hard to interact with chat. I know average delay should be like 5-7ish seconds and I am never anywhere close to that. My computer isn’t anything crazy: i7 6700k and an rx 570. But I’m streaming games at 720p and at a nitrate of between 3500 and 4000. My stream is smooth, like it’s not laggy or anything but it just always has this crazy delay.

And this isn’t just me noticing it, a few people that watch me have asked about why it takes so long for me to respond. Also, I know the whole “reduced stream delay” used to be a setting on twitch but not anymore since they incorporated that into everyone’s stream.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks everyone!

SumDim

What does it matter if its 20-25 second delay? Are you sitting there broadcasting the New Years Eve ball drop where time sensitivity is a high priority?

Or are you streaming a game? What your viewers see is what they are reacting to at the time they see it as it was pushed out. What you see is around trip of what was pushed out. So what if your no look scope winning shot happened 20 seconds ago in Mother Time. People react in chat when the data lands on their computer. They dont know if it happend 5, 10, 15, 100 seconds ago in Mother Time.

There is always a broadcasting delay.

alpinlol

Couldnt really figure out where u are from but usual delay is around 7-10 seconds yes though there can also be worse cases. For example Broadcaster from australia often have the problem to run into 20-30 second delays.

There is also no fix to this its just how their routing works.

xvlc

I'm not streaming on twitch, but on other sites i also have about 20 seconds delay, i think that's quite normal

Jesse Halteman

What does it matter if its 20-25 second delay? Are you sitting there broadcasting the New Years Eve ball drop where time sensitivity is a high priority?

Or are you streaming a game? What your viewers see is what they are reacting to at the time they see it as it was pushed out. What you see is around trip of what was pushed out. So what if your no look scope winning shot happened 20 seconds ago in Mother Time. People react in chat when the data lands on their computer. They dont know if it happend 5, 10, 15, 100 seconds ago in Mother Time.

There is always a broadcasting delay.

There are several instances where this matters. Interacting with chat is significantly harder. For example If someone has a question about something I just did or they tell me I missed something, since there is a 20-30 second delay by the time they post in chat I am long gone. Also, its just hard to have a conversation with someone when every time they ask me a question they won't hear my response for 20-30 seconds. If I ask chat what they want me to do in a game, I have to sit there for 20-30 seconds until I get a response and then once they respond they have to watch me standing there for 20-30 seconds.

Yes, for strictly viewing purposes it doesn't really matter if there is a delay, but it does effect my interaction.

I know that these are small things and they won't cause me to quit streaming or anything. But I just wanted to see if there was a way to make my experience better.

Thanks everyone for your responses!