2 pc stream advice

SugahWallace

Hello everyone. I have some questions about streaming. I want to set up a 2 pc stream so I did some small research and found out a 2 pc setup with a capture card would be the way to go. I had an Asus TUF fx505 gaming laptop at the time with only 1 HDMI out port. I purchased a 144 hz monitor so I could take full advantage of the laptops graphics card (1050ti). The monitor was a huge improvement. Fast forward 2 weeks, I decide to buy an elgato hd60s to start streaming using my old desktop as the stream pc. I ended up learning a lot about capture cards being that they only have 60 frame per second pass-through. So even though I got used to the new refresh rate on the monitor, I wouldn't be able to continue to enjoy it if I wanted to stream. If i ran the HDMI out to the card then to the monitor then it takes my refresh rate back down to 60 hz. I decided to get a better desk top and to use the laptop as streaming pc now but I still have tons of questions. My new desktop only has the following outputs: Direct port (Second monitor plugged into that, no outputs on this monitor), HDMI (gaming monitor at 144hz plugged into that also no outputs for daisy chain), and DVI (not being used). My graphics card is a Geforce 2060 RTX. I do not have room inside for an internal capture card. So with the gear that I currently have, will I be able to set up some sort of 2 pc set up and be able to play at 144hz still? I am trying to stream at 900p. Is there a capture card with DVI passthrough? Should I consider the 2 pc stream via NDI? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Hi - I'm also setup with 2 pc's for streaming. My defining issue is my rendering-pc monitor is gsync. Currently only display port will accommodate this. Current display port compatible capture cards are $2k'ish and lack features as they are primarily business focused. So the simplest workaround for me is using NDI. Personally I found that NDI had its own obstacles as well. NDI tools would randomly refuse to detect the video signal from my rendering pc. I basically went back to the obs studio NDI plugin. However this method would randomly de-sync audio. Fortunately this has a rather strange workaround that eliminated my problem.

Regarding hdmi and higher than 60Hz (this is from a website):
1080p @ 144Hz = dual-link DVI, displayport, or hdmi 1.4 or higher (though some monitors w/hdmi 1.4 limit to 60Hz or 120Hz)

144Hz @ 1440p = hdmi 2.0, displayport 1.2 while 4k 144Hz = HDMI 2.1, displayport 1.4 which maxes out at 120Hz w/o compression.

Hope this helps?

update: let me know if you need help setting up the ndi stuff. I'm not an expert, but have lots of hands-on experience.

SugahWallace

Hi - I'm also setup with 2 pc's for streaming. My defining issue is my rendering-pc monitor is gsync. Currently only display port will accommodate this. Current display port compatible capture cards are $2k'ish and lack features as they are primarily business focused. So the simplest workaround for me is using NDI. Personally I found that NDI had its own obstacles as well. NDI tools would randomly refuse to detect the video signal from my rendering pc. I basically went back to the obs studio NDI plugin. However this method would randomly de-sync audio. Fortunately this has a rather strange workaround that eliminated my problem.

Regarding hdmi and higher than 60Hz (this is from a website):
1080p @ 144Hz = dual-link DVI, displayport, or hdmi 1.4 or higher (though some monitors w/hdmi 1.4 limit to 60Hz or 120Hz)

144Hz @ 1440p = hdmi 2.0, displayport 1.2 while 4k 144Hz = HDMI 2.1, displayport 1.4 which maxes out at 120Hz w/o compression.

Hope this helps?

update: let me know if you need help setting up the ndi stuff. I'm not an expert, but have lots of hands-on experience.
Thank you so much for your response. I think I will be using the OBS NDI plugin as well. I am just waiting on the new modem which arrives tomorrow so I can actually have enough bandwidth to run the NDI set up. I will start setting everything up tomorrow and will definitely reach out if I need anymore help. Once again thank you so much!