2 iOS Screens in OBS At Same Time? (not as webcams)

icanswiim70

Hey Everyone!

Quick question,

I want to have multiple iOS screens in OBS (not webcam) but 2 screens for gameplay. To achieve this I need 2 inputs, and thought I could do one window Capture (Quicktime) and one video capture. Not working.

How can I have 2 iOS devices in OBS at the same time? (not for the camera but applications)

PLease note it is one ipad and one iPhone...

Thanks

Ladysun1969

Hi @icanswiim70 --

I'm not sure if any of this info will help you or not, but here's my experience so far:

I have been able to get 2 iOS screens (a 5th gen refurbished iPad and an iPhone 7Plus) working on OBS 26.1.2 using Video Capture (which displays whatever is on the screen of the iOS device), but it's a bit flaky. I have tried this on both a 2010 MacBook Air running Catalina and my new M1 MacBook Air running Big Sur, and it is flaky on both. HOWEVER, I'm not sure it's OBS's fault.

With OBS off, connect each of your 2 devices to your Mac via USB cable, one at a time. You may have to tell your iOS devices that the connection is not a headphone, and you may have to tell your Mac to trust the iOS device. After connecting each device, you should see them under Locations in the left-side nav panel in Finder. Click on them to make sure your Mac can completely connect to them. You should see info such as iOS version, plus some other stuff. Then go into OBS and set up your scenes.

Here's the flakiness I have observed: Sometimes OBS doesn't know which device is which & will display the iPad in the iPhone source. This usually happens after I have had both devices connected, then disconnect one of them. I have had to choose "iPhone" for my "iPad" source and vice versa. Sometimes when I re-connect the device I previously disconnected, OBS no longer receives display info from it. In that case, I have rebooted that iOS device &/or quit and re-started OBS and it works again. Sometimes everything will work perfectly for long periods of time.

Sometimes, one of the devices seems to go crazy, and disconnects & reconnects itself repeatedly. This continues even if I quit OBS; I can observe the disconnects & reconnects in Finder. (This is why I'm not sure it's OBS's fault.) In this case, I have had to disconnect both iOS devices & reboot them. When I reconnect them, everything may work for a long session, or may go haywire in a few minutes again. I can't tell whether it's the iPad or the iPhone that causes this, because it only happens when both devices are connected. If either device is connected by itself, everything works great!

I have tested this using multiple different cables (both Apple branded sync cables and 3rd party charge cables), and multiple different USB hubs/adapters, and have had this same behavior on both the old 2010 MacBook air and the new M1 MacBook Air.

The last time this happened was just before I was scheduled to teach at a virtual conference. OBS would NOT see the iPhone no matter what I did. I managed to get QuickTime to see it and was able to use Window Capture to bring it into OBS that way so I could teach my class, but it was very stressful until I got that working!

I'd love to compare notes with you (& anybody else experiencing similar issues) to see if it's possible to determine what exactly is going on. I'm not a developer, so looking in the source code won't do me any good, LOL, but maybe an OBS developer will see this & will either know what is happening, or be able to figure it out, & hopefully fix it.

Take care,
-Michèle in California

Ladysun1969

Just replying to say that I found something that might be the issue. I plan to test it tomorrow and see. I'm pasting a link to my comment on another thread about what I found:

-Michèle in California

Ladysun1969

Reporting back after doing some testing today. I wrote up the details here:

Hope that helps!
-Michèle in California