Question / Help 1440p, NGiNX, Windows, OBS??!

chaulkletgaming

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to the streaming world, started off with a basic one-PC setup streaming with OBS to twitch, then added a secondary desktop doing the specific twitch functions(monitoring chat, using twitchalerts etc). I received some donations and quickly purchased the elgato HD60Pro only to find out that it doesn't support over 1080p, and most stream cards don't support over 1080p unless you're willing to spend almost $xxxx.

So it appears my solution is to stream OBS at 1440p from PC1 to the NGiNX on PC2, then on OBS on PC2 downgrades to 1080p and uploads to twitch? And to add a wrinkle to this, I would like to still be able to incorporate the capture card so it's possible to stream PS4 games as well. This means I need to run OBS through windows, not linux due to driver limitations.

After spending a few hours reading about NGiNX I feel somewhat confident setting this up... I am proficient in windows and comfortable with linux...I just want to make sure what I'm interpreting is possible and I'm not wasting hours setting this up to find out it still wont work.

Please let me know if I'm missing something, or there is a better/simpler way to do this!

P.S. changing monitor's from 1440p to 1080 would be an easy solution, but not an option.

PC1
i7 4790k
Gigabyte Z97 OCable
8GB RAM
GTX 770

PC2
i5 650
Dell ????
8GB Ram
Geforce GT 220

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Turn on OBS on PC 1 and preview, but don't stream. Right click the preview and enable Projector output to a second "monitor" that is actually going into the capture card on PC 2.

chaulkletgaming

Thanks Dodgepong, that did the trick!

It took me about an hour to figure out that even though I was pointing it to the projector, I had other sources on top and not allowing it to be shown. All is good now!