1440p Gaming > 1080p Twitch-Streaming

Hello,

I have a pretty good PC and a good upload therefore I want to stream in 1080p on Twitch.

I have a RTX 3080 TI and want to use this setting with nvenc (infos from Twitch):

NVIDIA NVENC Specs (1080p 60fps)
Resolution: 1920x1080
Bitrate: 6000 kbps
Rate Control: CBR
Frame Rate: 60 or 50 fps
Keyframe Interval: 2 seconds
Preset: Quality
B-frames: 2

I have a 1440p monitor.

I suppose as a base canvas I have to set 1440p and output it to 1080p.

Does this work so well without much quality loss or should I make other settings?

I don't want to much quality lost or that the screen is cut or squished.

I have read a few threads here on the forum but many are a few years old and probably out of date.

Thanks in advance.

koala

I suppose as a base canvas I have to set 1440p and output it to 1080p.
This is the intended approach. Do it so. If it comes to quality, this is the best you will get with this combination. The only way to get a better quality on the stream is to play the game in 1080p, so no downscaling will take place. However, the quality difference is minor. And not all your viewers will view exactly fullscreen at 1080p but also windowed or on a different monitor size, so many of your viewers will rescale your stream anyway.

Keep in mind the game UI is downscaled as well, so if you intend your audience being able to read text that is displayed within your game, set your UI scale within the game big enough so it is still readable by your viewers after the 1080p downscale.

Keep in mind the game UI is downscaled as well, so if you intend your audience being able to read text that is displayed within your game, set your UI scale within the game big enough so it is still readable by your viewers after the 1080p downscale

That's bad :/ if I rescale the UI text it is to big for me and maybe squished or to low for the viewers.

Is there not another option?

Will be 720p better?

koala

The bigger the difference between your original game and the downscaled stream frame size, the smaller the UI gets for your viewers. So no, 720p will worsen it, not make it better.
I suggest you make test recordings (make it private or unpublished on the streaming website) and see how it will look on other people's devices. Also view the vod from your smartphone and see how it looks like. Usually it's not a big deal if you just don't choose an especially small UI size in the first place. Use the suggested game default or one setting bigger than the default and see how it looks.

Thanks you, maybe im obs Filter can increase quality?

Ps. Are 1080p streams on twitch limited to affiliates and partner or anybody can stream in 1080p?

Or is it better to do canvas 1080p and output 1080 and scale the source of gameplay to fit the screen?

So overlays and other sources don't need to get to be scaled down?

koala

If you need to include an overlay and other sources, you can definitely set both canvas and output size to 1080p and fit your game source into the canvas. This way the downscaling takes place within the source. Same performance than output rescaling. This way your overlay will not get downscaled, if you created it in 1080p in the first place.

Last question:

Is there a way to scale animated WebM overlays on 1440p canvas to fit the whole screen?

The same with transitions?

Ps. Before scaling down to twitch.

koala

The native resolution of your overlays should be the same as your canvas resolution. If your overlays are 1440p and you use a canvas resolution of 1080p, the overlays are scaled down to 1080p while fitting it to the canvas. This rescaling is no different to the rescaling that takes place if you use a canvas resolution of 1440p and use an output resolution of 1080p. The former will rescale your overlay by fitting it to the screen, the latter will rescale your overlay together with everything else by rescaling to the output resolution.

You only benefit if you use a crystal clear (unscaled) overlay with the same resolution as your canvas and the same output resolution.

In my opinion, don't think about that too much. Media players will rescale anyway. Just make sure you don't downscale something, then upscale it again. Only ever downscale, and try to minimize the number of downscalings for any given source.

I want to use this design from owned:

And I don't know if the designs are made for 1440p to, maybe they are only designed for 1980p.

Then I have a problem or not? Because the design then don't fit in the 1440p canvas and I need to upscale them or not? Same for transitions.

Hm.