Question / Help 120Hz/144Hz + 60Hz multimonitor (60FPS) recording lagging only a video player problem?

Toastfalter

Hi,

I keep trying to get the problem with the 144Hz monitor 60FPS recording jerky under control.

I have 1 144Hz monitor that I have locked to 60Hz.
I also use several other monitors, all of which can only operate at 60Hz.
(During the recording I have 0.3 values in the statistics as the maximum value.)

With all Hz (except 60Hz) settings I have small jerks in the recording. At 60Hz everything is fluid.

If I switch the monitor back to 60Hz for a 144Hz or 120Hz recording, the recording can also be viewed smoothly.

I then set a limit of 60 FPS for the VLC Player in the system settings in Nvidia Control Panel and think that it runs better.

Could someone with the same problem test it?

As far as I understand everything, I should always record the FPS / Hz with a value of 1/1 or 1/3.
60FPS at 60Hz or 60FPS at 120HZ.

I can also be completely wrong, but at the moment I think that the problem is the playback of the video, since I try to scale from 60FPS to 144Hz or 120Hz while looking. This leads to inequalities.

I ran into the problem again, because YT EposVox spoke of an update from Windows, which should fix the multimonitor problem.

Playing and recording at 60Hz works very well, but 144Hz or 120Hz look better when playing.

What do you think.
As I said, it can also be that I am completely wrong.

koala

If you record at lower fps than the frames are generated, for example you record with 60 fps, but the game renders with 144 fps, OBS has to skip the additional frames. If the distance between skipped frames is always the same, for example if every other frame is skipped, the video will appear smooth. This will happen if you record at 60 but the game renders with 120. Any multiple of 60 will do: the video will appear smooth. But if the game fps isn't a multiple of 60, such as 144, OBS has to skip every other frame in general, but to get from 120 to 144, 24 additional frames have to be skipped, within a window of 60 frames that it needs to keep. So sometimes 1 frame is skipped, and sometimes 2. This irregularity will be perceived as stutter by the human brain.

A similar thing happens at playback. If you have a smooth 60 fps video to display on a 144 Hz monitor, the monitor has to start to display a new frame exactly every 1/60 s = 16.66 ms. That's no problem with a 120 Hz monitor, which displays a new frame every 1/120 s = 8.33 ms, because it just displays a every frame twice. 2*8.333 = 16.66 ms.
But on a 144 Hz monitor, frames change every 1/144 s = 6.94 ms, so it sometimes it displays a frame from a 60 fps video twice, but some other time thrice to fill the time. This is also perceived as stutter by the human brain.

The Windows multimonitor issue, that is if monitors have different refresh rates, is a different issue. This also results in stutter, but due to other mechanics within the rendering system of Windows. Even if this one is fixed by Microsoft, the two issues I described above will remain. These issues cannot be fixed - you as recording person have to make sure the source fps is a multiple of the game fps, and you as the playback person have to make sure the display fps is a multple of the video fps. The latter may be enforced by media players, if they care.

Toastfalter

So what do streamers and Youtubers do with a single PC? Leave the monitor at 144Hz or put it down?

I sometimes see people on Twitch who play at 144Hz or higher, but don't output via a 2nd PC.

In theory, it should then jerk when I look at it.