1080p monitor, using nvidia dsr to play ingame 1440p, looking for good local recording settings

Szilard

Hello everyone,

any help is appreciated. First my setup, single pc, win 10x64 pro, cpu i7 4790k, gpu gtx 1080ti, 16gb ram, ssd's/hdd ect

So I have a 1920x1080 monitor and use nvidias DSR to play my games in 1440p resolution ingame, the game can go up to around 340fps sometimes but my gpu load stays always only at 50% as I use lowest settings ingame possible so there should be enough room for nvenc new encoder for local recordings, my question is, what settings should I use for 1440p local recording videos to get the best quality aka "vp9" from youtube later? I have no clue about local recordings, so I need every detail/setting I can get about it ;)

if there is any question left, feel free to ask me, thanks in advance

carlmmii

Use Indistinguishable Quality in Simple settings. If you want more control, then switch to advanced, set rate control to CQP, and set the CQP value to anywhere from 14-23 depending on what you're looking for (lower values = higher quality). Because you're recording, the only thing that matters is the quality target since you aren't constrained by an artificial bitrate limit... the bitrate will adjust to match the needed quality.

Aside from that, realize that youtube will always re-encode your video. From my own uploads, I will only get VP9 encoding when I give them 1440p or higher recordings, but this may vary between person.

Just make sure to record to .mkv to prevent the possibility of a corrupted encoding from pre-mature termination (i.e. crash). YouTube should support .mkv directly, but if you need another format like .mp4, you can remux it directly from OBS using File->Remux, or have it done automatically after recording (setting is in the advanced options).

carlmmii

The logs don't show any rendering or encoding lag, so you're technically good there, but I would still switch off "Max Quality" and turn off Psychovisual tuning -- both of these use CUDA for extra encoding processing, which can result in other GPU loading issues even if it doesn't show up in encoding lag.

The real problem probably lies in the scene and how things are being captured. You have all 3 capture methods in play -- game capture, window capture, and monitor capture. Try creating a scene with only the game capture and see if it also exhibits the same behavior.

Also, your monitor is set to 144hz, which may result in issues when capturing at 60fps. It would be better having your monitor set to 120hz, as this would be a direct conversion.

Szilard

thanks again for the reply, I didnt know that it can have any issues having only "1" scene with window capture, display capture and game capture inside of it even while the others are deactivated and only game capture being enabled during my gaming sessions?

to the monitor hz from 144 to 120, does it only help when playing the game with 120fps vsync enabled? Bc I play the game much higher (120-340fps) than my monitors refresh rate, would it still help to change it to 120hz with my basically uncapped fps ingame?

adding a second "scene" with only game capture inside of it, do I have to disable the first scene smh?

carlmmii

thanks again for the reply, I didnt know that it can have any issues having only "1" scene with window capture, display capture and game capture inside of it even while the others are deactivated and only game capture being enabled during my gaming sessions?
To my knowledge, the sources will still be active if they exist in the scene, even if they are hidden with the eye toggle. The only time this isn't going to be applicable is when you have a checkbox for the source that says "disable when not visible".

to the monitor hz from 144 to 120, does it only help when playing the game with 120fps vsync enabled? Bc I play the game much higher (120-340fps) than my monitors refresh rate, would it still help to change it to 120hz with my basically uncapped fps ingame?
It depends on how things are actually being displayed... fullscreen, windowed borderless, and windowed modes all behave differently, and may or may not benefit from having 120. Ideally, you're right -- it should only make a difference when frame syncing is in play (either through actual vsync, or windows' own vsync). But... this is windows we're talking about.

adding a second "scene" with only game capture inside of it, do I have to disable the first scene smh?
No. That should be fine.