Question / Help 0 dropped frames, smooth gameplay - still x264 @ 720p 60fps is not looking smooth

syXzor

Hi

I've had like 100+ test streams over the couse of a few months.

Recently upgraded my computer but I still see the exact same issue.

Specs:

Ryzen 2700x
Asus x470-prime pro
Kingston Predator DDR4 16GB 3000 Mhz (khx3000c15d4, running at 2133Mhz)
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB
100/100Mbit Fiber internet

Yesterday I did a clean Windows 10 Professional 64bit install, so I only have chipset / mobo drivers + nvidia, hwmonitor, steam, obs and Quake Champions installed. Around 1744 in Cinebench15 and no problems with fps ingame as well (as you can see in the video below)

When I watch other streamers, their streams and VODs looks 100% smooth at 60fps, whereas mine looks somewhat like 30 at best.

And the weird thing is that I'm not even stressing my CPU that much. Or GPU for that matter (due to all ingame settings being set to low).

Before, when I had the i5 6600K I used to send my stream to a streaming PC with NDI / rtmp, but even then I noticed the same non-smooth gameplay. I've also tried that with the 2700x, with same non-smooth result.

So now I'm just running obs on my gaming pc, since it doesn't really make it better or worse.

Here's an example of how non-smooth my streams are: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/266076725
And this is how it should look https://www.twitch.tv/videos/263789840?t=01h38m00s

I just helped a friend of mine setting up his stream settings the other day, and with the same settings I use, his stream was up and running in no time, and 100% smooth. He has beast of a machine, but specs is probably not the real reason for my problems anyways.

What do you think?

I've attached the log from this mornings test (the VOD I just pasted the link to above):

Attachments

• 2018-05-27 09-26-15.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Now I might be taking this the wrong way, but you might be having a placebo effect going on. Your stream vod and the one you linked to how it should look are almost the exact same in smoothness. You might be thinking that something is wrong so you want to see something wrong. I've done this a lot and it's part of critiquing yourself and wanting to get better, but your stream looks fine. I don't see any difference. Like I said I see no difference, but it doesn't mean there might not be something wrong. Hope this helps.

D

Deleted member 121471

On a unrelated note, disable gameDVR as it's known to cause some issues.

Concerning your stream, I don't see any difference in quality or smoothness. However, I do notice a difference in playstyle that can make it "feel" less smooth.

On your own videos, you turn the camera more slowly (low mouse sens, i assume), in constant small corrections and you keep your camera in motion.

The other streamer tends to turn way faster, has fewer aiming corrections and nearly stops camera motion for a lot longer.

This can cause what you're experiencing.

For reference, do you have VSYNC or any form of frame rate limiter enabled while streaming?

Last edited by a moderator:

syXzor

Thanks for your replies, both of you. :-)

Volfield I guess that makes sense. And yes I do always play with VSYNC OFF but I lock framerate to 144 due to playing with 144hz. This frame cap is build into the game. Why did you ask about the frame cap?

D

Deleted member 121471

Thanks for your replies, both of you. :-)

Volfield I guess that makes sense. And yes I do always play with VSYNC OFF but I lock framerate to 144 due to playing with 144hz. Why did you ask about the frame cap?

Asked due to a longshot solution that may help a bit.

With 144Hz panels, it's always a good idea to set FPS cap a bit lower. Usually, should be set 2-4 FPS lower than max refresh rate but if you set it at 120FPS, you prevent some potential syncing issues with your panel and it's a nice number that divides evenly with your streaming 60 FPS, which might help a bit with smoothness.

Another longshot solution...go to task manager and set threads 0-7 to your game and 8-15 to OBS.

syXzor

Asked due to a longshot solution that may help a bit.

With 144Hz panels, it's always a good idea to set FPS cap a bit lower. Usually, should be set 2-4 FPS lower than max refresh rate but if you set it at 120FPS, you prevent some potential syncing issues with your panel and it's a nice number that divides evenly with your streaming 60 FPS, which might help a bit with smoothness.

Another longshot solution...go to task manager and set threads 0-7 to your game and 8-15 to OBS.

I have no way to get 120 fps stable. When I set it to 120 it'll fluctuate between 119 and 115 ish. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/266217222 - don't think there's much difference if any. But I do agree that it might help if you could have stabile even fps - ideally 120, 180, 240 etc. The other stream I linked to ( the good one ) - Maybe they've just set it to 60fps to get it extra smooth, since they were just casting that game.

I think this is the best bet so far.

Edit:

Actually when looking at my last two videos again:

120fps: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/266217222
144fps: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/266180640

It does look more smooth to me. The 120fps video. Although not perfect 120... maybe the closer your can get the better?

D

Deleted member 121471

It does look more smooth to me. The 120fps video. Although not perfect 120... maybe the closer your can get the better?

I get motion sickness really easily when watching certain streams or playing certain games but the 120FPS cap stream does feel a bit more fluid, though I can't guarantee it isn't just a placebo on my head or the fact it's a different match.

In my own streams I noticed that having a FPS cap that doesn't divide well into 60FPS and/or that your system couldn't hit consistently caused some weird image quality and frame consistency issues every now and then.

It was more noticeable on Warframe, which is very fast paced.