Bug Report 0.13 has a 10 second delay before it records video

ronlonse

I just tested it too on my other machine, and it does have the delay. I even uninstalled and reinstalled, the same problem.

I can see a delay when I start a recording but not sure what data you'd need to take a look at it. I've shared a log but the timings (all three recordings at the bottom of the log had a chunk missing) aren't that helpful as there is no indication of when the record button was actually pushed.

I made a brief recording with my phone which may show the problem, I'll upload it to YouTube and share a link in a while.

The last recording matches what I am uploading to YouTube.

Attachments

• 2016-01-28 13-47-28.txt
    20.1 KB · Views: 27

Harold

I can't see any appreciable delay in the file showing up in my recordings folder when I press record nor can I see any difference between 0.12.3 and 0.13 in finalizing the file.

I tried with both my x264 and my utvideo recording profiles.

Attachments

• 2016-01-28 09-44-46.txt
    16.2 KB · Views: 14
Maybe this will help explain what I am seeing, to me this is not a huge problem just thought as I had the same issue I'd share data.

https://youtu.be/wYcyToxwekA

Also for completeness a screen snip of my recording settings.
OBS Recording Settings.JPG

Same issue with MKV and I'm using multiple audio tracks so can't use FLV. I did try it with FLV but the video file is blank - no idea why but that's not an issue :-)

Whatever format I use I see a sizeable delay between clicking Start Recording and seeing the file appear in Explorer and then the contents start roughly from the time I see the file created.

Anyway like I say not a big problem for me maybe wait and see what data @ronlonse can provide.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I'm almost totally sure what's going on here, I'm betting you're starting the stream, then starting the recording, then noticing that the recording takes a while to start up? I changed the way that works, because before it would actually cause major desync, and the bug had to be fixed by forcing the second output started to wait for the next video keyframe, which is typically seconds after. It's not a delay, just has to wait for the next keyframe (if the stream/recording are using the same video encoders).

You can start both the stream/recording at the exact same time and ensure that doesn't happen by using a hotkey and setting the same hotkey to both "start streaming" and "start recording".

I do need to add an option somewhere to make it so you can start streaming/recording at the exact same time without doing that though (so you don't have to set a hotkey).

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
It definitely shouldn't happen if you're only activating one. That's been tested extensively and I've never seen it happen before. I need more information about what you're reporting, perhaps I'm just confused. The only things that cause output delay are audio buffering and video encoding delay. Audio buffering is dynamic, and the max delay it can cause is 2 seconds (usually it's only 100 milliseconds at most in most cases). Video encoding is delayed by about 1 second max. Together, the max is about 3 seconds at most.

In your log, the audio buffering delay is 92 milliseconds, so it's not caused by audio buffering. Video buffering due to encoding is fixed, so it's not that either, so I'm not sure what the problem is or if there even is a problem. Perhaps windows is just not updating the file in the folder? There's just no possible way the program has over a second of delay from your output to the file.

@Jim I have been struggling with streaming and recording as you mention it and that led to me to think back to what I had changed around the same time streaming and recording at the same time broke.

For the problem in this thread if I remove multiple audio tracks from my Recording Output and record to flv or mp4 I get the full recording. As soon as I add back multiple tracks I get the problem.

Here's the details on my audio setup.

Advanced Audio:

OBS Advanced Audio Settings.JPG

Recording Tab:

OBS Recording Settings.JPG

Hope that helps, let me know if you need any more information

sam686

What hard disk you using for D:\ disk?

I sometimes happen to have the same problem when recording to D:\ disk which is western digital green drive. For this disk, after about 10 minutes of no activity of this disk, this disk likes to spin down. Then, anything trying to use this disk takes about 10 seconds to spin up. When trying to start recording after 10 minutes of inactivity, OBS-mp don't seem to start recording until after about 10 seconds. For the old OBS, it appears to stop responding for 10 seconds when starting to record.