“Apple VT H264 Hardware Encoder" unlocked for Apple Silicon M1

kellemar

Hello! I have just recompiled OBS for apple silicon using the latest code from the master branch on the OBS GitHub. I've also added the virtual camera to the build too.

You will need qt@5 and ffmpeg installed to use it:
`brew install qt@5 ffmpeg`

In order to open it you will have to right click and press open, you might have to do this twice because the build is not signed or notarised.

Download: link

XDR

The hardware acceleration of the M1 chip is fantastic! Has anyone had luck with the hevc_videotoolbox encoder in Custom Output? it records fine and opens in VLC and IINA but isn't read natively by macOS 11 or QuickTime Player 10.5. I'm not sure why since the M1 natively encodes/decodes HEVC/h.265.

T0ni

Hi there!
Thanks for all your input; incredibly good.
I am new on M1 too, 16GB RAM, 8 core
I used to use OBS on my old PC and also on Mac Intel as source for Zoom and to record stuff.
---
NOW, even without trying to stream, just to record, I have the following issues which might fit this thread, hopefully:

CPU is at 300-450%. >> I read somewhere else this is due to using 3-4 cores in this case.
Why is it that high?

To capture external cams and mics and sound sources >> no problem
To Capture whole display >> no problem
To "Window capture" BIG problem >> the window-video presented in OBS is jerky / delayed / not smooth.

Any ideas? To me this seems to be a similar problem due to ARM of M1 ?!

I installed / changed the above plugin, just to give it a try, but nothing changed (of course, somehow)

Any help is welcome. Thanks again to everyone in here!

Toni

KayneGiordano

Hi there!
Thanks for all your input; incredibly good.
I am new on M1 too, 16GB RAM, 8 core
I used to use OBS on my old PC and also on Mac Intel as source for Zoom and to record stuff.
---
NOW, even without trying to stream, just to record, I have the following issues which might fit this thread, hopefully:

CPU is at 300-450%. >> I read somewhere else this is due to using 3-4 cores in this case.
Why is it that high?

To capture external cams and mics and sound sources >> no problem
To Capture whole display >> no problem
To "Window capture" BIG problem >> the window-video presented in OBS is jerky / delayed / not smooth.

Any ideas? To me this seems to be a similar problem due to ARM of M1 ?!

I installed / changed the above plugin, just to give it a try, but nothing changed (of course, somehow)

Any help is welcome. Thanks again to everyone in here!

Toni

Hi ! Don't you have fluidity/smooth issues with a capture card? Personally, I have the same concern as you with and without a capture card, but apparently it is because OBS is not yet natively supported in ARM. To have been able to test Wirecast and Ecamm natively, it's much better :(

T0ni

Thx for your kind help.
Meanwhile I figured out how to solve it for myself, even I do not understand why that helped.
I had the open project and a camera-app called Camo usung iPhone as a source BUT iPhone was not connected at that point. >> so far the problems mentioned
After connecting iPhone CPU went down to about 8% within OBS.
So, solved for me; hope this helps someone having the same issues
PS: btw The app Camo works fine
Best to all, Toni

JonesTheHulk

Is there an updated file for use? Since the latest 27.0.1 hot fix I can no longer activate a stream to Twitch? Receive the following error with the file replaced in the plugins which is the same error received with original mac-vth264.so file.

Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 09.02.56.png

StrayTexel

EDIT: Please disregard.

For anyone else with this issue, the HW encoder is HIDDEN BEHIND THE ADVANCED MENU.

--

I just got a new M1 Mini and tried this today. Now running natively-M1-compiled version of obs: OBS 27.0.1-169-g94009535c-modified (mac)

Using the attached file from @RustySly it's still telling me that it's compiled for the wrong arch.

Code:
19:21:02.245: [mac-virtualcam] version=1.3.0
19:21:02.245: os_dlopen(../obs-plugins/mac-vth264.so->../obs-plugins/mac-vth264.so): dlopen(../obs-plugins/mac-vth264.so, 257): no suitable image found.  Did find:
19:21:02.245:     /Applications/OBS.app/Contents/Resources/bin/../obs-plugins/mac-vth264.so: mach-o, but wrong architecture
19:21:02.245:     /Applications/OBS.app/Contents/Resources/bin/../obs-plugins/mac-vth264.so: mach-o, but wrong architecture
19:21:02.245:     ../obs-plugins/mac-vth264.so: mach-o, but wrong architecture
19:21:02.245:     /Applications/OBS.app/Contents/Resources/obs-plugins/mac-vth264.so: mach-o, but wrong architecture
19:21:02.245:
19:21:02.245: Module '../obs-plugins/mac-vth264.so' not loaded

As a sanity check, to make sure it was looking at the right lib I deleted the lib entirely and the error went away.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

DapperDan

I'm getting these errors when I try to start a stream using your M1 build. Any ideas?

13:58:24.216:
13:58:26.072: Output 'adv_stream': Tried to set a delay value on a non-encoded output
13:58:26.072: Stream output type 'rtmp_output' failed to start!

Excuse me if there is a fix for this already

But having this same error logs using the M1 build

Installing latest release of OBS(rosetta install) and using with the same h/w capture devices streams starts

@kellemar, have you been able to resolve this?