Wow, so far it's been a blast.

Lona

Hi,

First off let me say how greatful I am for having downloaded this software of yours. I was messing around with so many different Streaming applications and in the end I was close to giving up. Also I had just installed Ubuntu as my very first Linux ever 2 days prior to that. So all of the stuff I tried, none of it seemed to really cut it, most of the apps wouldn't stream in Fullscreen or if they did, there would be artefacts. Then someone recommended me OBS, I hinted that I was now a Linux guy and he couldn't help me.
However, I found an official download in the forums here and from there on it was just really, really simple. Out of the box, install a few dependencies through a tutorial and I was ready to start. Though I had to play around with the settings a little I gotta say I now have Excellent Streamquality, not only is this the first time I'm streaming but also I'm sitting on an E8400 Dualcore (Intel) and only 4 gigs of RAM. My mainboard is an ASUS P5k. No matter what I tried back on Windows, I could never run streams without receiving huge framerate drops despite the settings.

However that changed with OBS on Ubuntu. I now play everything in 1920x1080, downscaling the stream to 1280x720 with constant 60 fps in every game (Heroes of Newerth, SC2..) Considering that SC2 for example is running through Wine already this is an huge asset! OBS is ressource friendly and super easy to set up. After a few minor adjustments the quality of the stream is PERFECT.

I used a website and and after inserting some Upload/Download-information there (bandwidth related), I could use those settings I received as an output in general, however I tweaked them a little bit. Sadly, I've lost the link. What it basically does is that you insert your info and it recommends you settings. Maybe someone else has it and can give it to the other newbs. After having a general idea, you can tweak the hell out of your OBS.

Oh btw I've bought a Webcam and I am using Image Overlays aswell. 60 fps @1080p. No problem. I can only downscale to 720p though else my very old PC is at it's limits aka less then 40 fps~.
There is just no downsides though it would be cool to add some more advanced settings into the GUI so the command line doesn't have to be used although for experienced UNIX users that shouldn't be much of a problem I suppose.

Apart from that I'm really happy and I will gladly pay whatever price OBS might cost in the future if it doesn't stay free. I will also donate a bit once I have enough money to spend. I've definitely saved a lot as I was already playing with the thought of getting a new system with an quad i7 etc, it would have costed so much. And that only because I couldn't stream on Windows!

Thank you!
Lona

Lona

I found your projects but there was nothing to do anymore. So I translated some other projects I got my hands on :P

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
We also like it when people go through "finished" translations and vote on translations to confirm their integrity, or suggest better ones.

Hi,

First off let me say how greatful I am for having downloaded this software of yours. I was messing around with so many different Streaming applications and in the end I was close to giving up. Also I had just installed Ubuntu as my very first Linux ever 2 days prior to that. So all of the stuff I tried, none of it seemed to really cut it, most of the apps wouldn't stream in Fullscreen or if they did, there would be artefacts. Then someone recommended me OBS, I hinted that I was now a Linux guy and he couldn't help me.
However, I found an official download in the forums here and from there on it was just really, really simple. Out of the box, install a few dependencies through a tutorial and I was ready to start. Though I had to play around with the settings a little I gotta say I now have Excellent Streamquality, not only is this the first time I'm streaming but also I'm sitting on an E8400 Dualcore (Intel) and only 4 gigs of RAM. My mainboard is an ASUS P5k. No matter what I tried back on Windows, I could never run streams without receiving huge framerate drops despite the settings.

However that changed with OBS on Ubuntu. I now play everything in 1920x1080, downscaling the stream to 1280x720 with constant 60 fps in every game (Heroes of Newerth, SC2..) Considering that SC2 for example is running through Wine already this is an huge asset! OBS is ressource friendly and super easy to set up. After a few minor adjustments the quality of the stream is PERFECT.

I used a website and and after inserting some Upload/Download-information there (bandwidth related), I could use those settings I received as an output in general, however I tweaked them a little bit. Sadly, I've lost the link. What it basically does is that you insert your info and it recommends you settings. Maybe someone else has it and can give it to the other newbs. After having a general idea, you can tweak the hell out of your OBS.

Oh btw I've bought a Webcam and I am using Image Overlays aswell. 60 fps @1080p. No problem. I can only downscale to 720p though else my very old PC is at it's limits aka less then 40 fps~.
There is just no downsides though it would be cool to add some more advanced settings into the GUI so the command line doesn't have to be used although for experienced UNIX users that shouldn't be much of a problem I suppose.

Apart from that I'm really happy and I will gladly pay whatever price OBS might cost in the future if it doesn't stay free. I will also donate a bit once I have enough money to spend. I've definitely saved a lot as I was already playing with the thought of getting a new system with an quad i7 etc, it would have costed so much. And that only because I couldn't stream on Windows!

Thank you!
Lona
cool man yeah the linux version is pretty solid for an early state my only gripe with it so far is the lack of capture device support i get that linux doesint have much capture device support due to lack of driver software but the ones that do work would be better off being used within obs as vlc just creates massive headaches like video/sound delay or the deinterlacing flat out not wanting to work right as for pc games it's been pretty rock solid with everything i have thrown at it obviously alot still needs to be done and i think it's great that people are contributing to getting the linux version up to top notch status even if it's a small number of people it still helps and if you plan on doing game consoles ever keep an eye on the forum post i started were im gonna be testing known linux compatible capture cards like soon i will be testing the blackmagic decklink and then the blackmagic intensity pro and then the happauge box and whatever other capture devices i can find that are known to have native linux support or can be worked around using WINE