ItalicMaze

I don't think there's much the OBS team can do, since it seems to be an issue with how certain hardware configs interact with Windows 10/11, so we probably have a better chance of resolving the issue by informing Nvidia and Microsoft. AMD and Intel if necessary.

While some people have found workarounds by using a custom resolution and/or integer FPS, it doesn't work for everyone, and it's not a proper fix. The stutter issue is also present with ShadowPlay and Game DVR, at least for me.

If your recordings have intermittent stutter, I suggest contacting the companies mentioned above. The more of us with a voice, the likelier we'll be heard. It's not that the OBS team doesn't care, but they genuinely don't know why or how it's happening.

We may have been barking up the wrong tree all this time, which likely explains why we haven't come any closer to solving the issue. Hopefully by posting this thread, we're one step closer to fixing this once and for all. :)

ItalicMaze

May be a good idea to post our setup, just to see if there's any correlation.

GPU: RTX 3060
CPU: i5 10400
RAM: 16 GB (defaults to 2666 MHz with my CPU, used XMP to reach 3200)
Motherboard: MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Storage: MX500 2 TB and Elements 1 TB

qhobbes

It's generally recommended that you don't use ShadowPlay and Game DVR at the same time that you're recording game play with OBS. Use the Log Analyzer. If still having issues, then

ItalicMaze

I have them both disabled and it still happens. I tried all sorts of recommendations, but to no avail. The main purpose of this post is to redirect people in their approach to the issue, and to also see if there's any correlation with specific setups. Also, the log files don't even highlight the frame drops we're experiencing, so it's likely something occurring outside of OBS itself.

huskereurocat

Thought I'd post in this forum as well as chatting on the OBS discord. Do you find that this is happening with everything that you record? I'm finding through lots and lots of testing that Madden 24 is the only game that I have serious issues with. Even games from the same platform (EA App) doesn't have the micro-stutter issue in the recordings. I even tried just recording something off Netflix to test and there wasn't one stutter in a 43 min recording. I also made a post on the EA Answers forum about this, but since I'm the only one commenting in the thread, it's not gaining any kind of traction with EA. Here is the post if you wish to take a look at it. https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Updates-News/Madden-24-pc-memory-leak/td-p/13191656

ItalicMaze

If I enable vertical sync in-game with display capture, the stutters occur about every 20 mins. Disabling it makes it a lot more frequent and seemingly unpredictable. With vertical enabled with game capture, it'll stutter about every 20 mins like the former capture method, although certain games such as the original RE4 suffer from stuttering whenever I face certain directions, even though the game itself runs fine, and I'm not at all stressing my system. I mean, I cap most of my games to my refresh rate anyway, so there's usually a lot of headroom, but recording software just doesn't want to perform well with them. Even just capturing my browser with vsynctester, it shows up as red or cyan for a long duration every few mins.

ItalicMaze

I tried disabling hyperthreading and threaded optimisation one by one, but no luck there either. It seems to be GPU-related, and I noticed a lot of GTX 10 series and RTX card owners having similar issues. I really hope it's not the result of a faulty product, though I also had a similar issue on a different PC that used a 1050 Ti. Maybe it has something to do with Windows. I really don't know, but maybe we can get some answers, and even a fix if we contact them alongside hardware manufacturers.

It shouldn't be up to us to constantly troubleshoot something as big as recording, especially in this day and age.