OBS redux

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Remember that wx2.9.6+ now supports cocoa (I've been using the release candidates of wx3.0), and it looks really good and builds with 64bit. The toolkit has been super easy to set up and all the operating systems look good and use native controls. It also has GTK3 support on linux now as well. Also they got rid of the MFC-like binding thing, and everything is handled through virtual functions. I know people like QT but I really think people should start giving wx a chance, this really is an excellent toolkit and is very easy to use.

Also sorry about that font thing, I actually changed the font away from default accidentally.

weegee - You are awesome, thank you very much for that. I use debian so I can't really test that, but hopefully everything is building okay, I admittedly wasn't entirely sure at first.

Also thanks to palana we should have some cmake files as well if people wish to use that over autotools

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Outside of the UI, just need to refactor the captures (for windows it'd be window/game/monitor capture), the outputs (streaming, file output, and such), finish up the sound mixing system, and basically link them all together via the UI to make them all usable via UI. It's still somewhat a lot of things to do, but it's not so much rewriting this time as much as just refactoring, so it's not a huge deal fortunately.

I might have to refine libobs some more. One thing that's been bugging me a bit is that plugins really need to be able to control scenes and such so I'm trying to factor that in, might have to redesign some of the core functions to accommodate this.

Linux/OSX capture stuff will unfortunately have to wait while I construct the application and get it to a useable state. We have OSX opengl code working but it hasn't been committed to the repo yet, the opengl stuff is easy, but linux and OSX capturing are another story entirely. After the program's back in shape I'll probably have to handle the linux capture stuff, though others will be handling the OSX stuff. I'm hoping that maybe I can find a linux engineer willing to do the video/audio capture so I can focus on other things.

Edit - Ugh and I do have to almost totally rewrite the capture device code though. I've been promising people I'd do that. That will be a pain because I have to write in the new USB 2.0 code. I will get the app functioning first so people can start contributing and writing plugins first however, then I'll get on to the device stuff. That has to be properly rewritten.

ctlw83

I have bookmarked the GitHub page and will be monitoring progress. I was excited enough about finding OBS as it is now. This redesign is going to be great!

I think that multi-OS coding is a no-brainer at this point and am glad you decided to undertake that challenge. I don't pretend to know anything much about programming. I have done some volunteer work on a fan game, mostly in terms of website stuff, and do know that they made a similar decision to switch to a game engine that will work more fluidly with multiple OSes.

Being an Open Source project, that flexibility is HUGE, as it will empower users across the board to be able to do video productions.

Can't wait! I want now D:

Edit: Will you be letting people apply to beta test it? I'd like to test out the HD PVR capturing if possible and other things.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Of course, people will be able to run it at any point in development. May not be functional, but anyone can always see it if they wish.

The new device code won't be ready for a while. I'm probably going to to do that as the last part of the windows version just because I want to let people get to development on other parts of the application

ekce

Weegee said:
Hey there,

although I'm not really good at it I've created a small PKGBUILD for all Arch Linux users who want to test the new OBS git builds, you can find it on GitHub. I wasn't really sure about the dependencies, so I just added wxgtk and ffmpeg as a start.

Now let's see how OBS on Linux develops ... :)

Thank you for this! I'd been meaning to do something like this myself but I've been so busy these days. I just used your script and was able to build OBS. There are a couple changes it needs though. In Archlinux we use both wxwidgets 2.8 and 2.9 in parallel (this is due to incompatible API/ABI stuff).
The two current packages are:

extra/wxgtk 2.8.12.1-5
community/wxgtk2.9 2.9.5-1

The current OBS wants >= 2.9. You can check the libraries with:

wx-config-2.9 --libs

Because of this the PKGBUILD needs to be updated with these two lines.

depends=('wxgtk2.9' 'ffmpeg')
in build()
./configure --prefix='/usr' --with-wxdir='/usr/include/wx-2.9' --with-wx-config='/usr/bin/wx-config-2.9'

I used quote tags because code tags are huge.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Well not duke nukem forever "soon", thank god. It's much further along than that.

I'm actually going to try to see if I can speed up things and make it so that other devs can actively start working on the project. I think that's key at the moment, as I'm currently the only person doing any actual code.

Actually got a bit stuck designing the studio window UI recently. There's people who want the system to be comprised of traditional channel-style output, and others who want a newer approach. We haven't decided what to do for it yet.

ctlw83

If you wanted to be really crazy you could set up a dual or flexible UI. One would be the UI as it is now, which largely fits game streamers and other things like that. The other can be a UI which creates a small-windowed preview of all the scenes as they are set up and then a main "program" window which shows what is actually streaming. Clicking on an individual preview block would then take up the whole left window and allow the scene to be edited, saved, and then go back to the 4-5 scene preview. This would be closer to the setup of a TV studio/network kind of workflow.

Of course, that would be ridiculously complex and taxing to produce on your own. That, and the PC resources needed to display all of the scenes at once, while still streaming and possibly recording might not be feasible.

I am particularly interested in seeing what is being done with the shaders/effects when all is said and done. The back-end improvements in the code will probably result in a much more stable and smooth-running application, and that is great. However, I am really excited in the UI and video processing changes.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
The 2 UI idea is basically already the plan: a standard version like OBS has now, and a Studio/Producer UI that is more fitting for more sophisticated production. However, it's most likely that saved layouts won't be compatible between UI versions.

ctlw83

That makes sense. My thinking is that someone using the "production style" layout wouldn't be switching back and forth with the standard layout anyway. That is, unless they were experimenting, found it not to be to their liking, and switching back.

It sounds great though!

Cronos

dodgepong said:
The 2 UI idea is basically already the plan: a standard version like OBS has now, and a Studio/Producer UI that is more fitting for more sophisticated production. However, it's most likely that saved layouts won't be compatible between UI versions.

Heh, I already think what OBS has now is advanced enough. Probably becuase I'll never have to use all of the features and options; maybe only a quarter or half of them.

SkyKiller63

So, is there any way that I can download and use a "Test build" or something? I would really like to check out the progress on this! I'm excited for this to be done! (Whenever that may be, I know that it's not the easiest thing to do)

crono141

SkyKiller63 said:
So, is there any way that I can download and use a "Test build" or something? I would really like to check out the progress on this! I'm excited for this to be done! (Whenever that may be, I know that it's not the easiest thing to do)

I downloaded the source from git, but since I'm a noob when it comes to compiling I had no idea on how to build it. I don't even know if its functional yet though.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
It's not easy to build because of wx and ffmpeg. I'll add build instructions to it when I have the rest of the dependencies sorted out

jonbro

Hey there! I just got this compiling on mac (more or less), and I am wondering if I could do anything to contribute. I am guessing since it is early days now you are in a bit of a one man show mode, but I would be happy to contribute little things (like the changes I made to the cmake scripts to get everything compiling). Or even if you want just issues filed or that type of thing. Alternately, if you want big things (the mac screen streaming?), I would be happy to take a stab.

Taladan

Jim - it is gratifying to see that you've finally gotten around to a place where you can start working on osx/linux support. I've been streaming to twitch (from linux) with a script I cobbled together using FFMPEG for a couple of years now. Even though I'm no programmer I can tell you that I've gotten a lot of feedback on quality and such, and one of the biggest problems I've had with ffmpeg is actually two different things: Lack of consistancy in quality and desync issues between audio and video. I'm not sure how to get around either of these, but I wanted to comment on it so that you (or whomever will be working on the linux version) can be aware of it and keep an eye out for that in your testing.

It will be so good to have an actual quality program designed for streaming from linux instead of having to bend things that were never meant to do this into it.

Keep up the good work!