OBS 0.52.08 aquaman build - quicksync & capture improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luk

Re: OBS 0.52.03 toast build - quicksync

Is there a way you could choose between QSV "Quality" and QSV "Speed"? Many converting programs have those two options. Or is only the "Quality" setting active? (Which would make sense)

Gol D. Ace

fixed a bug with game capture sizing

Really?

2Zdui

paibox

heros in an halfshel

Actually, yes, the bug with the game capture sizing was fixed, but I see now that this is something else. It looked like the old aspect ratio bug to me, but as far as I can tell, the problem is that osu! reports a 1280x720 DXGI surface no matter what you set the actual resolution or window size to.

Ideally, this would be fixed on the osu! side, but I'll try to look into it, provided I don't run into even more tons of work before the weekend.

Gol D. Ace

paibox said:
that osu! reports a 1280x720 DXGI surface

strange but thx for the info.

EDIT: nope i get this error with like any "game" emulator whatever.

2ZesG.jpg

2ZeAL.jpg

paibox

heros in an halfshel

Sorry, I suddenly realized what was up. You need to check "Stretch to screen". The name of this is slightly misleading at the moment, since it is more like "stretch to source size" with the fix.

If you don't use stretch to "screen", the game capture source (like all other sources) get added at 1:1 size.

paibox

heros in an halfshel

But... that would be the correct aspect ratio, judging by the size of your osu! display?
If you wish to ignore the aspect ratio of the osu! resolution you've selected, also tick the "Ignore aspect ratio" box.

Unfortunately, I can't change it so that the source size itself adapts to the aspect ratio of the source game at the moment, I'm too busy, sorry about that. This change should make it into OBS relatively soon though, since fitting the game capture source to the bounding box now works.

In case you're wondering, Game Capture is mostly intended as a full-scene size source, so adding a 4:3 game to a 16:9 scene should result in black bars on the sides, adding a 16:9 game to a 4:3 scene should result in a letterbox display, etc. I suppose it isn't handled ideally at the moment, but you could just enable Aero and use window capture for osu! instead, since it seems to run just fine in borderless windowed mode anyway... or is there some issue with that mode?

Gol D. Ace

I will test the performance of borderless window mode capture.
The problem with osu is that it starts to look really easy not smooth and I don't like that ;)

Yep source size adapting would be very nice for alignment (the red border goes directly around the game).

DAOWAce

Fas said:
Here are 3 Videos I recorded in Dota 2, just to check the quality:
1080p @ 45 FPS
http://www.twitch.tv/fastestchannel/b/406755045
Yeah, that is completely unacceptable for me. Those compression artifacts are just disgusting.

I'd rather run a slower preset with lower bitrate than be forced to throw 1.5x more bitrate than my normal veryfast setting. 5K is already pushing it, plus Twitch doesn't like it.

I still need to get around to doing this. Maybe I'll update my BIOS at the same time, hum..

Sure do hope Haswell has better encoding quality.. or however that works.

WayZHC

This is the easiest way to enable iGPU if you don't have a screen connected to it WITHOUT Lucid Virtu(which sucks). iGPU is enabled when you have it enabled in BIOS and a screen connected to it. This way you can "connect" to another screen even though you don't have another one. 3 Easy steps (someone could make same screenie with English Windows.)

EUmdj3K.jpg

rlex

Strange part.
Intel Core i5-3570K. Maximus V Extreme. GTX680.
"Failed to initialize QSV support"
Drivers enabled, iGPU enabled in bios (was testing fail called "virtu mvp", so it surely works).

UPD: OK, i configured extended display. Now it starts, but OBS freezes after several seconds.
Log: http://pastebin.com/epA5Vht4

DAOWAce

Well, nevermind, I can't test because Intel decided to drop support for Vista (yet not XP).

Yay me.

*wrists*

Love not being able to use part of the CPU I paid quite a bit of money for, solely for encoding better. If I still used my 2500K I could use quicksync (does SB even support it? I don't remember, been so long) and the iGPU, but no, they dropped support for Vista when Ivy came out and I don't know how to force install the drivers (this aint NVIDIA drivers), so I'm shit out of luck.

The fact that they still have XP supported is just insulting. Vista is 95% similar to 7, minus a few minor media upgrades and the platform update 7 got to support 8's features. Vista can damn well accept it, but no, Microsoft refuses to even acknowledge Vista again.

I'd love to use 7, but I can't stand it: http://imgur.com/a/DXZ0G

If anyone knows any programs/mods to fix up 7's UI issues and get back to how Vista had things, please let me know, I'm becoming desperate.

T6kke

QSV makes a big difference in performance for me. All tough I have to use significantly higher bitrate to minimize artifacts but that is expected.

I don't really know how QSV works but I used GPU-Z to monitor my HD4000 usage and it never reached 30% load. Is this how it's supposed to be, is it something to do with my settings, is it how QSV is implemented into OBS or is GPU-Z just reading it wrong(I do have the latest version)

I have i5 3570k @4.4GHz, though clock speed should not matter for the GPU since it is separate.

Max Stream settings I tried:
CBR, 6000kb/s, 2500buffer
AAC 160bitrate
1600x900 base/downscale1280/720 @60FPS
Using QSV of course

This is the result, I had no frame rate and frame drop problems and it looked fine on my laptop. CPU usage was about 60%
http://www.twitch.tv/t6kke/b/407694395

Goatfudge

T6kke said:
QSV makes a big difference in performance for me. All tough I have to use significantly higher bitrate to minimize artifacts but that is expected.

I don't really know how QSV works but I used GPU-Z to monitor my HD4000 usage and it never reached 30% load. Is this how it's supposed to be, is it something to do with my settings, is it how QSV is implemented into OBS or is GPU-Z just reading it wrong(I do have the latest version)

I have i5 3570k @4.4GHz, though clock speed should not matter for the GPU since it is separate.

Max Stream settings I tried:
CBR, 6000kb/s, 2500buffer
AAC 160bitrate
1600x900 base/downscale1280/720 @60FPS
Using QSV of course

This is the result, I had no frame rate and frame drop problems and it looked fine on my laptop. CPU usage was about 60%
http://www.twitch.tv/t6kke/b/407694395

Why would it be wrong? In any case, Quick Sync is a separate core on the CPU die exclusively used for video encoding, decoding - what have you. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure it has anything to do with the GPU.

T6kke

Goatfudge said:
Why would it be wrong? In any case, Quick Sync is a separate core on the CPU die exclusively used for video encoding, decoding - what have you. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure it has anything to do with the GPU.

For some reason I thought that QSV was done by the HD4000 graphics chip. Didn't think it was a separate chip.

Bensam123

Love this Jim, it's been a long time waiting for this.

Is there any chance we'll get AMD and Nvidias equivalent supported so those of us without a IB or SB chip can use the feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.