GL Present

Running win 8, i7 920 @ 4.2 and Radeon 6970

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Re: Need feedback on a new version of game capture - updated

Natslx - I can fix that -- please email me your d3d9.dll from c:\windows\system32. if you're running 64bit windows, send me that one, and also the one in c:\windows\syswow64. I need to check the version data on them and hopefully get it fixed. obs.jim@gmail.com

I know it's a lot to ask but it would help me and a lot of other people on windows 8 out if you could do that.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer

if you ever have time, drop by #obsproject on quakenet sometime on IRC.. need someone to test out windows 8 stuff on. I should be able to get it working with fast capture but I need a tester to verify. (by the way, thank you so much)

XeiZ

All i could find:

captureHookLog.txt
Code:
D3D9 Present
DoD3D9CPUHook: success, fps = 30, frameTime = 33333
d3d9 capture terminated by the application

Log.txt
Code:
Open Broadcaster Software v0.44a [experimental] - 32bit (´・ω・`)
-------------------------------
CPU Name: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor
CPU Speed: 3816MHz
Physical Memory:  4095MB Total, 4095MB Free
stepping id: 0, model 10, family 15, type 0, extmodel 8, extfamily 0, HTT 1, logical cores 6, total cores 6
------------------------------------------
Adapter 1
  Video Adapter: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
  Video Adapeter Dedicated Video Memory: 2123567104
  Video Adapeter Shared System Memory: 4025249792
=====Stream Start=====================================================================
  Multithreaded optimizations: On
  Base resolution: 1920x1080
  Output resolution: 1280x720
Loading up D3D10...
Using 5.1 speaker setup
Using auxilary audio input: Mikrofon (Blue Snowball )
Audio Encoding: AAC
    bitrate: 192
Video Encoding: x264
    fps: 30
    width: 1280, height: 720
    quality: 10
    preset: veryfast
    i444: no
    max bitrate: 3000
    buffer size: 3000
using memory capture
using memory capture
using memory capture
using memory capture
Total frames rendered: 31210, number of frames that lagged: 5 (0.02%) (it's okay for some frames to lag)
=====Stream End=======================================================================

Profiler results:

==============================================================
frame - [100%] [avg time: 6.949 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1] [children: 48.8%] [unaccounted: 51.2%]
| scene->Preprocess - [0.0144%] [avg time: 0.001 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1]
| video encoding and uploading - [48.7%] [avg time: 3.387 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1] [children: 26.6%] [unaccounted: 22.1%]
| | CopyResource - [0.173%] [avg time: 0.012 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | conversion to 4:2:0 - [0.158%] [avg time: 0.011 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | call to encoder - [26.3%] [avg time: 1.827 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
==============================================================

Dxtory information AFTER dxtory got updated (working in every screenmode)
Code:
DeviceType: DX9
View: Type=DX9 DevType=D3DDEVTYPE_HAL BhFlags=D3DCREATE_FPU_PRESERVE D3DCREATE_MULTITHREADED D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING Format=D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8 Size=1920x1080 HWND=0x0287035C WindowTitle=Natural Selection 2 ClassName=WindowClass7463298

Sadly i dont have the information of dxtory before it got fixed, this was too long ago.

Anyway the screen stays black when the game is running in Fullscreen windowed.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer

Xeiz - you on windows 8 too? you shouldn't be getting the DoD3D9CPUHook if you're on windows 7. If however you -are- on windows 7, email me your DLLs like I explained to natslx, please. would be most helpful.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer

it should be actually far better than dxtory if you're getting the GPUHook message in the captureHookLog.txt

hooky

I tested this, and I've been able to get consistently above 100 fps while streaming. I had to lower the buffer size to the lowest to get my ping down to a normal level. (1096 or something... it's a new default I guess? Mine was still 8000 something.) Also, I'm streaming on dx9 with just Chris' dx9frames config, and not maxframes (which I feel glitches the game with dx9, like, weird stuttering that doesn't make sense) which is what I was using (with dx8, which doesn't work with this well). I actually had to use dx8 and maxframes to stream at my current bitrate and resolution, and now I can have a nicer looking game while streaming. When I get new computer parts soon I should get a better framerate.

Also of note is that this still works better when Aero's enabled. This sucks for Radeon users as there's no way to turn off Aero's built-in vsync with the official tools, and ATI Tray Tools isn't allowed in ESEA because of CS exploits. I don't understand why AMD won't do it in their tools, even Nvidia does. :\

Anyway, thank you for making this plugin and OBS. Without them it would be much harder to stream :D

hilalpro

Jim said:
it should be actually far better than dxtory if you're getting the GPUHook message in the captureHookLog.txt

finally i got working on sc2. the performance/quality ratio is really impressive. not even close using dxtory

what does this means ?
Code:
D3D9 Present
DoD3D9GPUHook: shareDevice->CreateTexture2D failed, result = 2147942487

ColterTV

Jim said:

Where do I find that file? I didnt see it in obs log folder ?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer

paste %appdata%\obs\pluginData\captureHookLog.txt into start/run

hilalpro

%appdata%\obs\pluginData\captureHookLog.txt

that's a direct path

ColterTV

D3D9 Present
DoD3D9CPUHook: success, fps = 40, frameTime = 25000

What im doing wrong?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer

japi - I can make it use the fast capture, but I need you to email me your d3d9.dll from c:\windows\system32, and if you're on 64bit windows, the one in c:\windows\syswow64 as well. both of them, if you can. obs.jim@gmail.com

it's kind of a pain that I have to do this for every d3d9.dll version, but it's currently the only way.. though, hm, might be able to get around this minor annoyance in the future.

ColterTV

Sent both files (im on 64 bit windows) in separate emails (sorry my bad)

anhdvu

I've run into a pretty weird bug with the latest test version. So, my laptop has NVIDIA Optimus. If I start OBS by double click on it (I understand OBS would use Intel HD here), my stream would keep flashing. Whereas when I force OBS to use my laptop's discrete card by right click and select the option, the problem would go away.

This is just minor bug. But you may want to look at it.
Btw, I tested with Dota 2 and here is the log.
Code:
D3D9 Present
DoD3D9GPUHook: success
GL Present
DoD3D9GPUHook: success

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer

it may be unpredictable with an optimus, I'm not sure. you may want to turn that sort of thing off if you can

XeiZ

Okay i tested the performance difference between no stream, dxtory 1080 and gamecapture 1080p today.

First my PC:
AMD Phenom II x6 overclocked to 3,8ghz
XFX Radeon HD7850DD OC
8GB Ram
NO SSD

My settings in OBS:
NO downscaling
bitrate 4000 as well as the buffer
preset veryfast
Quality 10
NO custom settings
I tested with a few differend Send Buffer settings but it didnt change anything
FPS: 30
Preview disabled

Dxtory:
1080p
30fps
the usual stuff...

Settings ingame for all 3 tests:
everything possible on low
1980x1080
Fullscreen (due to game capture not being able to capture ns2 in fullscreen windowed)

First test i did was the game without any kind of streaming related stuff going on, no OBS open, no Dxtory.

Second test was the game + OBS + Dxtory in 1080p@30fps@veryfast@4000bitrate
Performance was terrible the longer the game went (normal in ns2) as soon as i let dxtory capture the game i took a big hit in FPS and soon went down to around 30 or even less FPS - unplayable on a competitive level at least.
CPU usage around 90% at the end.

Third test was the game + OBS + Game Capture with the same settings as the second test
Performance was impressive for not using a capture card. As normal the FPS went down the longer the game went but still stayed at around 50ish (which is almost the same as not streaming at all!) - totally playable!
CPU usage also around 90% at the end,
Only problem that i had (resulting in me messing around with the send buffer) was a strange jitter in the game. Movement and animations overall didnt seem as fluent anymore, its harder to see on the stream but feels very awkward, its hard to describe.

So overall your Game Capture is really REALLY good and beats gamesource, screenregion and dxtory easily.

edit: Its not related to 1080p, the jittering also occures with downscaled 720p but just very little and not that noticable anymore. CPU usage is alot less too so i doubt its my CPU (wouldnt work with dxtory either then).
edit2: but i noticed in the vod there is a delay between audio and video in the downscale test.

GeForceFX

Just tried out the test3. Works amazing. The first one I tried had black screen for a few frames every few seconds or so.
http://www.twitch.tv/geforcefx/b/340527419
This one is amazing. I used i7 920 (3,4ghz), 1700mhz ddr3 (3x2gb) ram, very fast x264 preset, qual10, 4000 bitrate, 1080p, 30fps.