Question / Help NDI plugin network issue

hokero

Hi everyone,

I post my own thread trying to resolve my issue.
I'm trying to setup a dual pc config to record my gameplay.

I choose the ndi plugin for economic reason,
But i got a quality issue

If i setup the video settings to 1920x1080@60fps, the capture are so pixelated (OBS projector on the Record PC)
If i setup th video to 1920x1080@10fps, the quality are perfect.
I've made some other test and the result is: OBS seem to be network limited between my 2 computer.
OBS never up 180 Mb/s.

Both PC are connected to the same gigabit switch (Dlink DGS-105)
I've tried an other switch (Dlink GO-SW-16G), same result.

I've start an iperf test to check the connection between both PC:
Code:
Connecting to host 192.168.111.100, port 5201
[  4] local 192.168.111.99 port 51484 connected to 192.168.111.100 port 5201
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec   112 MBytes   943 Mbits/sec
[  4]   1.00-2.00   sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec
[  4]   2.00-3.00   sec   111 MBytes   933 Mbits/sec
[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec   111 MBytes   932 Mbits/sec
[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec   110 MBytes   926 Mbits/sec
[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec   110 MBytes   922 Mbits/sec
[  4]   6.00-7.00   sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec
[  4]   7.00-8.00   sec   112 MBytes   942 Mbits/sec
[  4]   8.00-9.00   sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec
[  4]   9.00-10.00  sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.09 GBytes   936 Mbits/sec                  sender
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.09 GBytes   936 Mbits/sec                  receiver

Why obs is limited to 180 Mb/s ?
An idea of what to change?

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 35

Sukiyucky

Don't know if this is the cause but make sure every piece of networking equipment is 1000Mbps fast gigabit.
Your switches, hubs, cables, Ethernet port, patch cables. Most of the time, its not realizing you got old Cat 5 cable somewhere in your network.

Additional things to check:

- Make sure also that the Ethernet port on both motherboards are 1000Mbps.
- Check the NIC driver and see if speed and duplex is set correctly 1.0Gbps Full Duplex or Auto Negotiation.
- Check the network adapter status too to confirm speed.

Attachments

• nic.jpg
    nic.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 171
  • nic2.jpg
    nic2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 173

hokero

@Narcogen:
That's bot log file (first -> PC-gaming, second -> PC-recording)
https://obsproject.com/logs/7PwqD5Tk3SwcAmGQ
https://obsproject.com/logs/hHuty4QMt02_zS2V

@Sukiyucky:
On the PC-Gaming, it's ok.
PC-Gaming.png

On the PC-Recording, it seems like there is a problem.
trying to upgrade the driver, but noting change.
PC-Record.png

Both are connected to a gigabit switch (Dlink DGS-105 ) with Lan patch câble RJ45 Cat7 STP.

After some search:
We have had reports of some ISP technicians telling their customers that a Gigabit option will appear in this setting if the network adapter is working correctly. This is incorrect. Auto Negotiation is the correct setting for Gigabit speeds in Speed & Duplex for Killer Networking Adapters. There is no option for 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex with our Ethernet drivers. Auto Negotiation will give you a 1.0 Gbps link speed, provided your other networking equipment auto-negotiates correctly.
source: https://support.killernetworking.com/knowledge-base/ethernet-link-speed-capped-at-100-mbps/

Last edited:

koala

That' correct. In a home environment, every port on "Auto Negotiation" is the only correct setting. The two ports of a network connections (your computer and the port in the switch where you plug it in) have to have the same setting. One port "1 GBit/s Full Duplex" and the other "Auto negotiation" is wrong. It's wrong, because "auto negotiation" is kind of a negotiation protocol. If one side is fixed to 1 gbit full duplex, it isn't answering to this auto negotiation, so the port set to auto negotiation is falling back to 100 mbit or even 10 mbit. In this case the fixed port is talking 1 gbit and the auto negotiation port ist talking rubbish, so the network throughput is failing.
The ports on the ordinary home routers or switches are all hardcoded as auto negotiation, so all the PCs you plug in have to run on auto negotiation as well. Just don't change any setting in this regard after PC installation - it's the default.

Hardcoding ethernet speeds used to take place only in corporate environments with managed switches. And even these environments run better with autoneg.

hokero

That' correct. In a home environment, every port on "Auto Negotiation" is the only correct setting. The two ports of a network connections (your computer and the port in the switch where you plug it in) have to have the same setting. One port "1 GBit/s Full Duplex" and the other "Auto negotiation" is wrong. It's wrong, because "auto negotiation" is kind of a negotiation protocol. If one side is fixed to 1 gbit full duplex, it isn't answering to this auto negotiation, so the port set to auto negotiation is falling back to 100 mbit or even 10 mbit. In this case the fixed port is talking 1 gbit and the auto negotiation port ist talking rubbish, so the network throughput is failing.
The ports on the ordinary home routers or switches are all hardcoded as auto negotiation, so all the PCs you plug in have to run on auto negotiation as well. Just don't change any setting in this regard after PC installation - it's the default.

Hardcoding ethernet speeds used to take place only in corporate environments with managed switches. And even these environments run better with autoneg.
Both are in Auto "negotiation"

i will try other port on the switch and other patch cable

Narcogen

Logs without output sessions don't contain much performance information.

However, in this case, if either PC was encountering rendering lag as a result of running an NDI source, it would be in the log, and there isn't any.

That also suggests the issue is network related.

Killer NICs in specific are known to be problematic with OBS, and the suggestion in working with them, in case you haven't already done it, is to remove any additional software that Killer provides and install only their drivers.

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/dropped-frames-network.99881/

Narcogen

Not seeing any performance issues there. I assume that's the computer receiving the NDI feed?

Not sure 55K CBR is the way to go, usually you'd want CQP 15 or so.

18:49:58.900: - filter: 'obs-ndi - Fix alpha blending' (premultiplied_alpha_filter)

Is this on intentionally?

hokero

Not seeing any performance issues there. I assume that's the computer receiving the NDI feed?

Not sure 55K CBR is the way to go, usually you'd want CQP 15 or so.

18:49:58.900: - filter: 'obs-ndi - Fix alpha blending' (premultiplied_alpha_filter)

Is this on intentionally?
Not really, disable or enable it does not change anything (according to my issue)

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Killer drivers are annoyingly difficult to remove with Windows 10 DCH, so check they are really gone as they are known to cause throttling issues. Go to device manager and make sure the network adapter is using the Microsoft driver. Disable any Killer services in services.msc. Uninstall any Killer / Rivet Networks devices under device manager / software components. Reboot, then delete the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\Rivet Networks folder. If it says something is in use, then the driver is still loaded somewhere.

hokero

I did a test without the switch, same issue
I tried to uninstall the network driver, the killer software
Finally I gave up and bought a AVerMedia Live Gamer 4K (GC573)

hokero

Your switches, hubs, cables, Ethernet port, patch cables. Most of the time, its not realizing you got old Cat 5 cable somewhere in your network.
Even connecting both computer with cat7 cable, i got the issue.
So i guess it was a network card problem