Last best OBS version for win 8.1 64bit???

KevinPorter

Hey, New to all this. Im running a dated win 8.1 64bit and im wondering what the best version of OBS to install might be??. Im on 27.2.4 at the moment.

My system is pretty experimental right now. I have an analog audio and composite video capture into my computer and a droid cam at the lowest settings over wifi. Seems to work pretty well as long as i dont try to do anything other than basic OBS moves and keep other unused programs shut down.. If that all holds together with the OBS PTZ camera control plugin, which i have not installed yet because i have not got my PTZ camera delivered yet, i think i would be fairly happy with that side of the system. Im only using OBS as a source along with media files and the like, in the same computer. Not really planning to stream or record via OBS so it just has to handle the analog AV inputs, media, the PTZ control, and finally output the PC HDMI to the next part of my installation which will be a little more up to date.

Parts are starting to arrive. Yesterday i got the Black Magic Atem Min Pro ISO switcher which will be the center piece of the streaming and recording setup. I will stream from the Atem over ethernet and record the ISO's from the ATEM usb. The OBS computer system mentioned above will be a HDMI source into the Atem along with three other HDMI cameras, two fixed wide angle cams and the PTZ cam which i want to control with the above 8.1 computer.

Later im am going to add a second newer computer like a ryzen 9 to run davinci resolve and other post tools, although, most of the stuff ill be doing is live broadcast of bands who perform in my studio to youtube and facebook and handing over ISOs so they can go post elsewhere, so, essentially a capture rig,, for now.

So, back to which OBS version is best for Win 8.1 ?? Thank you.

Lawrence_SoCal

I had an old WIn8.1 system as it was an HP 2-in-1 with an ARM processor. Even it had a free upgrade to Win10.
Win8, like Vista and ME before it, and WIn11 now, is a half-baked, heaven help you in terms of stability, maturity, etc Operating System. Arguable whether Windows 2000 was as bad as Win11 has been... but I digress

I'd start with - why stay on Win8.1? Granted Win10 was a bit rough at first, but I've found latest WIn10 to be MUCH better than WIn8.x ever to have been. Similar RAM, disk I/O requirements, etc. And Win8 no longer receives security updates. So, doing anything on the Internet, except by the MOST cybersecurity savvy is an invitation to be hacked.
I'm personally running my primary email, financials, etc computer (over 10yr old CPU, no real-time video on this system) on Win10 just fine. and with 24GB of RAM and SSDs, I can run multiple VMs at same time.
So, unless you have a really good technical reason to stay on Win8.x, I'd back up the entire system, and proceed with the free upgrade to WIn10 and check it out. Yes, there are some new M$ defaults that are privacy invading, but easy enough to turn off.

Otherwise, you need to stick on OBS Studio v27, I believe. v28 & 29 have new Qt6 UI code, and iirc, require Win10 (or more likely, were only tested on Windows desktop OS v10 & 11)

anony_moose

Download OBS Studio 27.2.4 here: attachment-KLUNK-2.jpg