Basic Suggestions List

Muf

Forum Moderator
Jim said:
Currently there appears to be a little bit of an audio/video sync issue with directshow, depending on what filters the filtergraph decides to throw in.
DirectShow frames are timestamped as far as I know. If currently rendering video frames have a timestamp too far in the past, you can simply delay audio by the difference and you'll cancel out the desync.

Jim said:
- The initialization/destruction of capture sources thing is only really an issue when using devices. This is actually the reason why I made the option for "global" sources. Global sources do not get destroyed across scene changes, and persist through scenes.
- I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say the application doesn't have an audio mixer. It does have an internal audio mixer. As for selecting specific applications, that's a bit problematic. We've been discussing it in another thread -- http://www.openbroadcastersoftware.com/ ... p?f=7&t=33
Ahh, my bad. It seems I haven't been testing enough before I opened my big mouth :oops:. Global sources work perfectly. I'm guessing the volume thing with the speaker icon is the desktop audio? I'll have to see what that picks up on as I have speakers, headset, and several Virtual Audio Cables so I'm guessing I'll probably hear a few things double. I also posted in the thread you linked, but I'm probably not being helpful.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Muf said:
DirectShow frames are timestamped as far as I know. If currently rendering video frames have a timestamp too far in the past, you can simply delay audio by the difference and you'll cancel out the desync.

By the nine divines, why on earth did I not hear about this sooner? Thank you so much for telling me. DirectShow is like this tangled web of evil that I separated out into an entire plugin so it wouldn't contaminate my main application code.

Paccamaxa

- Supports CUDA and ATI Stream
I have a system with two video cards. (8800GT and GTX570)
When i stream game League of Legends : I have load on the GPU1 - 60% and GPU2 - 0%.
Will be better to use all computing power to the streams in a higher quality, if possible.

Muf

Forum Moderator
Jim said:
By the nine divines, why on earth did I not hear about this sooner? Thank you so much for telling me. DirectShow is like this tangled web of evil that I separated out into an entire plugin so it wouldn't contaminate my main application code.
Good to know my collection of vague memories about Windows APIs is useful every once in a while :D

Paccamaxa said:
- Supports CUDA and ATI Stream
I have a system with two video cards. (8800GT and GTX570)
When i stream game League of Legends : I have load on the GPU1 - 60% and GPU2 - 0%.
Will be better to use all computing power to the streams in a higher quality, if possible.
OBS already uses shaders (read: GPU code) where possible, but OpenCL could be a possible avenue to explore if you wanted to utilise the GPU to a greater extent. I personally don't like GPU acceleration all that much, as I can be alt tabbed out of a game (while waiting for something), trying to watch a YouTube video in the mean time, but because the GPU is already being fully used I can't even watch it smoothly while 6 CPU cores are picking their noses, all because Flash insists on GPU "acceleration" (which I've since turned off).

sneaky4oe

- cross-service streaming (to twitch and own3d, for example)
> Streaming to my twitch and own3d at same time without running second instance of application.

- rework adding video sources menu
> I forgot what I meant :-) Anyway it would be nice to get there drag and move function for switching layers in video sources fields, to add an option of positioning and resizing video sources, I guess? Because I was not able to do that.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
you can do that with edit mode, turn on edit mode, select the source, and you'll see a red rectangle. using that rectangle, you can move the source around or resize it. you have to be streaming/previewing in order to do so though

zerocul

Jim, thanks for new 0.40 release, It's amazing! :)
Can you make one small, but very useful thing - autonaming .mp4/flv files like autonaming logs?
P.S. I tried do it myself, but program do not compile without full version of VS 2008 :(

Warchamp7

Forum Admin
Yeah, I think he wants some automatic naming scheme so every time he starts recording, it's a new file and it doesn't override the old one. That would be handy.

Muf

Forum Moderator
By the way, I would like to offer some feedback about a point that's on the planned features list:
Jim said:
  • Settings to adjust video brightness/contrast/gamma for stream output
Brightness and contrast are actually highly useless controls when used for correcting for image defects.
Instead I would suggest:
- R/G/B Gain
This can be used to tweak colour balance on VGA sources and correct a weak signal by boosting all three channels.
- Levels adjustment
This can be used to correct a mismatch between ITU BT.601/709 and PC colour spaces (16-235 luma levels), and also gives you gamma controls.
- U/V (Cb/Cr) Gain and saturation
This can be used to tweak colour balance on component/video sources and correct poor signal decoding on cheap USB capture boxes.

Of course these would have to be for an individual source, not the entire stream picture globally, because that wouldn't be very useful.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Others have expressed that they would like a hotkey for turning off the stream. It's a good idea, I will put it in.

Kyo7763

I have not seen these two options but here are my suggestions after playing around with it for a few minutes:

The option to uncheck constrained aspect ratio. Basically, free movement of an imported image/overlay or whatever.

The other suggestion would be to allow for importing video(aka a WMV file for example). Allow for looping of video and the option to mute sound if there is any.

I might have missed these as I said I just picked it up since I saw R1CH say he was looking for some feedback on it, but I'll be testing it all day on HQ streaming tomorrow! ^_^

Edit: Figured this is more clean instead of posting again. Anyway just wanted to note that I ran a stream for 30 minutes in SC2 on 2680bitrate and OBS was taking quite a bit less CPU load than xSplit so that's great.
The other suggestion, which I know you're working on, is gifs. Since I already searched around and saw your response to someone else I don't really need a response, just reiterating for you~
Thanks for the great work! I'll be testing out some higher settings tomorrow. Honestly, if you could fix the wmv/gif things I'd probably drop xsplit right away since this is so much more simple and more fast! >.>

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Hey Kyo.. You already can ignore aspect ratio on an image by holding down shift while sizing an image. Playing video files to the stream is something that I have planned, but more after I polish up the app a bit and get more fundamental features in. I have plans for optional plugins for things such as playing videos, or using flash output to the stream, along with other things I've been thinking about.

Kovalchuk

Jim said:
I have plans for optional plugins for things such as playing videos, or using flash output to the stream, along with other things I've been thinking about.
Great to hear that streaming videos option is in the plans.

Couple suggestions/wishlist:
- feature to choose audio track in video file
- plugin for IPTV http:// udp:// sources.

VLC can do these things but it's not very flexible for broadcast purposes because it doesn't support various services but justin.tv (through 3rd party utilite to boot).

sneaky4oe

Jim, and what's about streaming on several channels at same time without additional loading on CPU? Will you make it possible please?
*Sorry if I missed your reply to that wish*

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
streaming on two services at once means that you have to use double the bandwidth. are you really sure you want to do that?

wtfzerg

I'd like to request an FPS meter. Would make it a hell of a lot easier to see if the video is actually being encoded at, say, 60 FPS.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Capture FPS meter will be in soon - I just need to make some adjustments to the UI so I can fit it on there.