Question / Help Ability to save scenes in OBS?

Eros Peterson

OK is there a plugin that alloows you to save scenes in OBS so that you can reuse them without having to rebuild them every time (ie. templated scenes)?

Cheers from Canada,
Eros

Eros Peterson

Lets say I create a number of scenes/elements in OBS that I want to use for different purposes (ie. an opening/intro for my broadcast, a closing segment/credits, a ticker for the bottom of my screen, a "live stream starting in 2 minutes" before I go on camera etc) can I create separate scenes in advance and then open/import them individually as needed depending on the type of broadcast I'm doing?

Does that make more sense?

~!E

Eros Peterson

I'm not talking about transitioning between scenes, I'm talking about creating a scene, and then being able to save that scene and setting it off to the side so that I can load it back into OBS at a later date. Think of it as if you were making a layered Photoshop or GIMP image file that you use as a template for other projects. You can create it, save it and simply open, quickly edit as needed and then save it off to another file.

Does that make more sense?

Cheers,
Eros

Harold

So you just clone the scene later like from the right-click menu or add the scene as a source in another scene.

Nyarlathotep

Scene Collection > Rename (give it a name)

Scene Collection > New (give it a name)

Scene Collection > (pick a set)

If you want to back up your scenes, navigate to ~/.config/obs-studio/basic/scenes/

Scene Collection > Rename (give it a name)

Scene Collection > New (give it a name)

Scene Collection > (pick a set)

If you want to back up your scenes, navigate to ~/.config/obs-studio/basic/scenes/

The later option can also be used to copy scenes from one computer to another. I backed up the .config/obs-studio/basic/scenes/ files and copied to another computer placing in the same directory and vola. All the scenes showed up as well as sources. Made life much easier setting up the new laptop.

JerryDay

So, there is no way to save an OBS project as a file? No way to store different OBS projects on your hard drive?

KlyxxOEM

Haorld I'm not sure if your brain is so big it's blocking your "common sensors" or if it's intentional but, what Eros is asking is what I was wondering as well.

BREAKDOWN:

Scene section
"Game screen"

Sources (for "Game screen" scene)
NDI Source
Alert Box
Chat Box

Is there a way to SAVE and preserve the transforms, size, and placement of THAT SCENE for later use. For example, creating a Christmas themed scene, Save as Christmas scene.obsovrly (whatever an obs scene file/collection might be called), be able to load and unload that scene in it's entirety from a file? Like Export the scene, save it in a cloud, load OBS somewhere else, pull from cloud and load scene instead of rebuilding it.

Is this possible.

ChefGregS

I am not sure people are grasping what I THINK he is asking. However, as I believe I have the exact same question let me try to explain...and maybe we can both get an answer.

Here is what I am doing:
I am using OBS for livestream church services. Our worship set is streamed and we show lyrics for all the songs as we play. I can't find any way to do these any simpler than make every song a scene. Thus I have these scenes:

Pre-Service
Countdown
Worship - This is amazing grace
Worship - Yes I will
Worship - Here's my heart
Worship - All who are thirsty
Sermon
Dismiss

In the worship song scenes I have all the lyrics as graphics that appear as a bottom third.

What I would like to do is have a way to save the songs say in a SONG master directory. Just as you would do with text files in a Songs folder on your computer. Then whenever we use that song, I can just add it to that weeks MASTER Scene list and NOT have to create it all over again. It would save the graphics, the locations and sizes of the graphics, etc...

I have tried some copy and paste stuff but that doesn't seem to work. As that list is just MASTER scene files. NOT the scenes inside those. So my master file I can save is like: 2020 June 28 Service, 2020 June 14 Service, etc...

I think what I want to do is similar if not exactly what EROS is wanting to do. It can't be made any more clear so I hope someone understand this and can tell us, is this possible, will it be a future feature, are we just SOL!!!!????

Thanks,

Greg

EdK

Hi Greg, Don't know if this will help you but I stream church service also. In my case, all song lyrics, etc are being displayed on overhead projectors using PowerPoint. In OBS, I'm capturing the 'display' being sent to the projectors. Therefore, all song lyrics, etc are not stored in OBS. OBS is only being used to combine audio coming from the PA system (via a Focusrite Scarlett Solo audio interface), the camera and PowerPoint images for the stream. Both PowerPoint and OBS are running on the same computer. The camera (actually an Android phone) is connected to the computer via our Wi-Fi network using DroidCam App.

AndyDelgado

We're doing something similar @EdK except that we use NDI to capture the output to the projectors and add it as a source in OBS.

I have also wanted to have the ability to save scenes for different occasions. In my case, I have 3 different businesses that I may stream for or use obs to make recordings. As you can imagine, my Scenes list gets kind of long...

If we could export a scene to be imported at another date... GOLD!!!!!

EdK

Thanks. I've run into discussions referencing NDI but I'm having a hard time grasping what it is and what it does.

MARBA

Hi.
I want to mention here: OBS lyrics and scripts to import OpenLP songs into OBS are very useful.
I use them and make broadcasting much easier.

Lawrence_SoCal

To original poster, assuming I understand correctly, ... yup, reasonable request to selectively 'copy' a given scene from one OBS Scene Collection to another... just not an option with current OBS menu/tools :(
In Ideas and Suggestion you can find a long running discussion (multi-year) of being able to selectively copy 'n paste Scene/Source items between Scene Collections. And that discussion explains why it such a capabilities is NOT available at this point. One option folks have mentioned is manually going into the associated settings file (JSON, iirc) and hand editing the file with the 'scene' you want (ie copy between collections), being careful regarding any groupings, references, etc that could screw things up.
FYI - I've been doing our HoW stream for 7+ months now. My Scene list for a service is over 25 at this point. And using PowerPoint for Service Bulletin. So my scenes are largely static, and I simply update the pre-recorded Media (video) Source to point to this weeks content (usually 8-10 videos between readings, music, announcements, etc)
- there are plug-ins that could automate this. Or I could use same filename (Prelude, Postlude, etc) but simply running though Scenes and updating Media sources is easy enough and need to play content in advance anyway.. so negligible benefit to automate, and less plug-ins usually is more stable
This is a keep-it-simple approach. I'm not using lower thirds, and lyrics that update /scroll during performance... rather lyrics in bulletin on left side of screen (PPTx Window capture), video on right side. easy peasy

DrAlbany

I would also like to be able to save Scenes and Sources individually... for example...

I work with a team who are streaming soccer matches due to Covid and I've just created a scene and source that I like to copy to their computer without having to recreate the source from scratch on their computer. The source is fairly complicated and would take 30 mins to set up, so the facility to copy would be excellent.

DanMaskedGamer

So basically, the question is if its possible to save the scene configuration to a file that can then either be archived or transferred to another computer? Similar to how XSplit does their presentation files?