Mumble Noise Gate

EntranceJew

xposted from here
Would you consider adding a feature / additional plugin to translate my existing voice activation settings from mumble to OBS' microphone noise gate? It's faster to work with mumble's voice activation settings and having to calibrate OBS to match it is a bit tedious.

To my knowledge, the mumble voice activation settings are stored in the registry:
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mumble\Mumble\audio
Under the keys: vadmax, vadmin which equate out to @Variant() wrapping a float from 0.0f to 1.0f; vadmax/vadmin are referenced inside the code as a variable with a similar name. The code link should reveal the math necessary to convert the floats to their relevant decibels. You could probably make use of the noise gate settings file: %appdata%\OBS\pluginData\noisegate.ini

Getting the values in the registry to change require (the latest stable) mumble to be restarted, but, disconnecting and reconnecting is still easier than attempting to eyeball the settings with no approximate value.

Preferably I'd like to use the noise suppression and stuff that mumble uses on my voice before sending it to the server but something in this vein would do as a short-term solution. This is all short of hijacking the audio sent to the mumble server and routing a duplicate through OBS. Between some friends the want for the feature came up enough times to warrant throwing it out here.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
I am not very used to mumble, as it never worked that great for me, but I personally use the voice activation of TS for OBS.
I made this tutorial quite some time back to showcase how I do this: http://blog.hemp-society.de/2013/02/get ... -with.html

In theory something similar should be possible with Mumble as well. I dunno whats planned for the OBS rewrite in regards to this topic, but I am also not sure if your idea is really possible so I thought Id share my solution.

EntranceJew

Jack0r said:
I am not very used to mumble, as it never worked that great for me, but I personally use the voice activation of TS for OBS.
I made this tutorial quite some time back to showcase how I do this: http://blog.hemp-society.de/2013/02/get ... -with.html

In theory something similar should be possible with Mumble as well. I dunno whats planned for the OBS rewrite in regards to this topic, but I am also not sure if your idea is really possible so I thought Id share my solution.
I can connect to my own server twice but since mumble shares its configs between multiple instances it'd require extensive setting up each time I wanted to stream. I could endure my own voice and just use the local loopback but that is a bit undesirable.

RegnaM

EntranceJew said:
Jack0r said:

I can connect to my own server twice but since mumble shares its configs between multiple instances it'd require extensive setting up each time I wanted to stream. I could endure my own voice and just use the local loopback but that is a bit undesirable.

1. Copy/Paste mumble folder and rename second one to "mumble-micro" (for example)
2. Create an empty file named mumble.ini and put it into mumble-micro folder.
3. Create a batch or shortcut of mumble.exe and add: -m (mumble.exe -m) it will allow you to run multiple mumble instances.
4. Run mumble.exe from "mumble-micro" and thé configure wathever you need to then close it. Settings will be saved into mumble.ini you previously created.
5. You now have 2 dedicated mumble instances: 1 for voice chat/1 voice your microphone in obs or whatever you need it.

I'm using VAC + mumble in order to get mumble microphone features/quality (PTT/noise reduction)
into others programs (obs/skype/csgo...)

I don't know maybe I should make a tutorial, itcould help
people.