Is AV1 hw encoding for streaming (to YouTube) ready?

cippo95

Hi all, I have a simple question.

I'll upgrade my graphics card soon: I'll pick an NVIDIA RTX 4070 or a Radeon 7800XT.
Is AV1 hardware encoding for streaming to YouTube already available for both vendors on Linux?

Reading the release notes it wasn't very clear to me.

Thank you!

AaronD

Historically, AMD has been weaker for video encoding anyway. *Maybe* they've gotten their act together now, but I'd still lean towards NVIDIA for that reason.

AV1 doesn't really enter the picture for me yet. Let someone else figure it out, and when it becomes mainstream, then maybe I'll switch to it. H.264 works just fine, and there are lots of ways to come up with that bitstream, both CPU- and GPU-based.

cippo95

I just want to know if there's the option already available in OBS with Linux, nothing else.

PS: Where I live I can't have more than 3500kbps upload so it would be really useful.

Tuna

I think the relevant NVIDIA PR is here:

I think the relevant AMD PR is here:

Last edited:

cippo95

Ok, the implementations are still open but they seem at a good point.
Lets hope that the code will be merged soon.

Thank you very much!

cprn

Sorry for chipping in here even though I know nothing about the subject but the relevant FFmpeg commit is dated Sept 22 and the last FFmpeg 6.1.1 tag from Dec 31 already includes that change so shouldn't AV1 work with FFmpeg 6.1 right now? I just tried that and it doesn't, at least on my system: trying-to-stream-av1-on-amd. Is FFmpeg implementation a blocker for OBS?

Hrybochok

Hi all, I have a simple question.

I'll upgrade my graphics card soon: I'll pick an NVIDIA RTX 4070 or a Radeon 7800XT.
Is AV1 hardware encoding for streaming to YouTube already available for both vendors on Linux?

Reading the release notes it wasn't very clear to me.

Thank you!
I was checking this with latest Ubuntu and freshest openSuse Thumbleweed at the end of December. Had no AV1 options in OBS for AMD and Intel ARC. I believe that was due to lack of proper version of ffmpeg, but I‘m not 100% sure

cprn

On Arch based system it works out of the box with `obs-studio-git` but if you don't want to use the git master branch, you'll have to wait a week or two for the next official OBS release. Ubuntu should get it in that next release as well.

longusnickus

i am using obs-studio-av1 from AUR for a few weeks now. works just fine
but next OBS update should come with AV1 support for AMD

OBS Studio 30.1 Beta 1
  • Added AV1 support for VA-API [nowrep]