Bug Report Image Plugin can't show special character in folder/file names

NoXPhasma

The Image Plugin is unable to display special characters, like I have in German language (öäüß...). This isn't just a cosmetic problem, because I can't change to folders with special characters. When I try to open a file with special character it says it can't find the file, because it's using this UTF-8 <?> sign as character in the file name..

The log does not show any error message about it.

Here is an screenshot how it looks like:

Attachments

• special_character.png
    special_character.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 94

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
This actually might be an issue with Qt, because that's a Qt dialog. I'm not entirely sure. Commonly used linux file systems don't really have any encoding, they just store the name as characters and don't really take in to account their locale or anything. File names can be saved in any encoding, and if the encoding a program expects doesn't match the encoding used for the file name itself, you'll get stuff like this.

NoXPhasma

I have other QT programs, like Mumble, they don't have any issue with special characters. I'm not sure where this problem is but it's only in OBS.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I'm not sure then, note that this is Qt5 -- I'm betting those are Qt4. Though honestly I just don't know. All I can tell you is that I did not write the code for that dialog box, that's Qt code. It's possible I'm not using a parameter somewhere, but I really don't think so because I'm using it exactly how the documentation states to use it.

NoXPhasma

This is not a problem for me, I usually don't use special characters in files and folders, the two folders are created by the system. I just wanted to report this. I guess there are some other people with languages which use more special characters as we in German.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Hm. Well thank you for telling me regardless. I'll see if there's anything that can be done.

leonhard

Developer
It seems to work for me, but i'm not sure why. Maybe i did something to set the locale for qt5 ?

Attachments

• obs-fileselect.png
    obs-fileselect.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 65

NoXPhasma

As I know QT5 doesn't provide any config tools any more, like qtconfig-qt4 for QT4. So I doesn't know how I could set something like that.

And I think all my locale settings are fine, I'm using de_DE.UTF-8. But I'm not really deep inside of QT since my desktop is and was always GTK based.

Lucki

I don't know, what's going on here, but this is no problem here.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto von »2014-09-05 09:47:33«.png
    Bildschirmfoto von »2014-09-05 09:47:33«.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 63

NoXPhasma

I found out what was the reason on my side, in my system the LC_ALL variable wasn't set. After I've set it to "de_DE.UTF-8" everything is fine.